SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candler_gw

IE Virus Or Popup Problem?

candler
11 years ago

This request is for my neighbor. Cable/Vista/IE unsure. A week or so ago he began getting a popup screen within seconds of everytime he moves to a web site or clicks on a desktop icon. He can "x" it off the screen but just as soon as he tries to go to the Net or on a desktop application it comes back.

The popup dims his background screen and disguises itself as being part of Internet Explorer. It is also wanting him to buy a repair program. Any antivirus or anti spyware program he tries to download stops in the process because of whatever infection his computer has. Whatever he tries is stopped by the popup.

I'm considering trying to download a free anti program on a flash drive and try to load it on his computer. I don't know if it might work and I don't know if there's a free program on the Net that might help.

He said something about having Avast on his system but I never found it. We tried downloading free AVG but it was stopped about half way through by the infection. Does anyone have suggestions as to what type of corrective program I should download? Thanks, Gene

Comments (6)