Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Back button

Posted by john_ny (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 11:28

Lately, after reading a posting, and I click on the Back button, at the top left hand corner of the screen, in order to return to the Computer Help Forum, so I can read another posting, I get, at the bottom of the screen the " Waiting for...", and " X number of items remaining", along with the little rectangle with the colored dots and, finally "Done".
Then, nothing happens. It doesn't go back, and I'm still on the same page. Any hints? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Back button

I find at times like that a double click will do the job. On rare occasions I have had need to open another tab and close the annoying one.

o

Thank you for your reply, but I guess this is one of those rare occasions. Double click doesn't do it.

o

Somehow I tend to think those sites hold us hostage. The meeker ones require a double click the more arrogant sites force us to stay. Not sure they win any Brownie points doing it but who knows? One day when I find such a site I should try checking the html for clues, won't help of course other than to possibly satisfy my curiosity.

In Firefox it is possible to click the orange FF button at the top left then click on the site needed from the history there. Similar action is likely in other browsers I suppose. Another dirty fix but......

o

" ... after reading a posting, and I click on the Back button, at the top left hand corner of the screen, in order to return to the Computer Help Forum ...

The back button isn't working even here on gardenweb.com? If so, I don't think gardenweb causing it but I don't really know.

Just out of curiosity...

(1) Is the back arrow broken on all sites, or just a few certain ones?
(2) What OS? XP, Vista, Seven, Eight, etc?
(3) What browser/version are you using? Such as IE7, IE8, IE9, Firefox 23, etc.

I'm seeing numerous results when searching, such as this one. I'm not saying it applies to you, but maybe it's worth a look?

Here is a link that might be useful: back button not working

o

I didn't do anything, but it seems to be working again now. I first noticed it on Bananas.org. When I came over here, to ask about it, I noticed it wasn't working here either. This afternoon, I saw that it was working on the other site again, and now it seems OK here also.

Using Vista, and Internet Explorer. (I think it's IE7)

Again thank you to all,

o

I didn't do anything, but it seems to be working again now. I first noticed it on Bananas.org. When I came over here, to ask about it, I noticed it wasn't working here either. This afternoon, I saw that it was working on the other site again, and now it seems OK here also.

Using Vista, and Internet Explorer. (I think it's IE7)

Again thank you to all,

o

May be of interest: just read of ctrl-shift-t for going back one closed tab.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here