Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get Acer recovery disk to engage

Posted by abreeze (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 11 at 10:45

In the past I've always had the OS on a CD and reinstalled OS easily. However, I now need to use my recovery disks to reinstall WMP on my Aspire 7736z-4088 laptop. I tried using Acer Recovery Management, but it's not giving me the option to use the recovery disks I made when I purchased the pc. Instead it is taking an image of my system with no other options. Since WMP is no longer in my system, I prefer to use my disks.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your thoughts and help.
abreeze

Here is a link that might be useful: old link describing WMP problem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get Acer recovery disk to engage

You can download Windows Media Player from the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: windows-media-player 12 for Win 7

o

Why would you want to use recovery CDs to re-install Windows media Player.if you want to revert your laptop back to the way it was coming out of the box. Then you would insert your #1 recovery CD in the CD/DVD drive, close the drive, restart the laptop and change the boot order in the BIOS to your DVD drive..of course, once you do this, then every program and all the updates since it was purchased would have to be re-installed...all of your favorites and all of your Contacts would also have to be re-installed

o

Hi Zep... They make it sound simple, but then one finds out that it's only available within Win 7 OS. This has been a long, frustrating journey! :)

How to get it

Windows 7

Windows Media Player 12
Learn more

Included in Windows 7 Starter, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions. Get Windows 7.

For Windows 7 N or KN editions, download the Media Feature Pack.

o

Thanks Zep and Genes, recovery appears to be the only way to reinstall WMP in win 7:
Note: Available only in Windows 7. Windows Media Player 12 comes as part of Windows 7 and is not available as a separate download. Check out the Top 10 reasons to buy Windows 7. (Copied from: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-media-player-12)

I'm trying to enter my bios but get a screen that is unfamiliar to me... It is advance bios settings and doesn't have a simple choice of changing bios to boot from DVD... I'm nervous about what to do.

This is not my main pc. I mainly use it to record live church services and have been greatly handicapped without the use of WMP. I know the updating will be extreme but can't help it. I should have done this long ago. I really appreciate your help.

o

Can we try this first, I asked you to do this on the other thread but forgot to follow up...

You also have the option to boot to the Windows Advanced Options Menu, just restart the computer during restart keep pressing the F8 key wait for the black screen with white letters to appear, then using the arrow keys select highlight "Repair your computer" Lets see what that happens...

o
More

Once you select or highlight "Repair your computer"

Hit enter

o

When you enter the BIOS isn't the first choice across the top highlighted? If so you need to use the right arrow key to move along the headers till you arrive at the window required. Then use the down arrow to arrive at your place. Read the instructions either on the right side or underneath depending on whose BIOS is used. You should be able to place the cursor over the first boot device then use the + or - key to change, repeat till the DVD is there, the second choice should be the HDD. Press F10 to save and exit, confirm to activate.

o

Thanks, Zep!!! WMP is BACK! ;-) My pc just finished restoring to factory settings. I did as you said, but "Repair Your Computer" then gave me a list of options from which to choose!!! Rather shakily, I selected the one to restore to default settings. It never asked for my recovery disks! Why did Acer ever have me make them??? It used the recovery partition of my laptop.

Anyway, I'm thrilled and thankful. I desperately needed this pc with WMP for an upcoming retreat...

Owbist, I didn't see your post until I was finished. The screen I was given in bios was an advanced bios settings screen with options listed. I may have done something wrong...

Question: (I'm using my desktop for this post...) Will Win 7 Service Pack 1 save me from installing any updates? Should I just go to Windows update and see what it tells me?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

o

Will Win 7 Service Pack 1 save me from installing any updates

Ha ha, you wish. I have SP1 installed and show 107 updates and probably 25 are MS Office 2007 updates so you still have about 70 to contend with.

To view installed updates click Control panel/Programs/Programs and Features/Installed updates.

o

Obviously, I asked the question poorly! :-) I understand there will be many updates to install, but was hoping the service pack would eliminate some of them. Right now I'm busy uninstalling bloatware...

o

I would have just installed VLC player it does everything and more than WMP and is a better program.

you can use pc decrapifier to get rid of all the bloat
The PC Decrapifier

be sure if you have an old AV program on there to fully remove it. App remover is good for that
Using AppRemover

VLC Media Player

o

Thanks, Raven, for the much appreciated links and suggestions. You and the many contributors on this forum are amazing! :) I never heard of the VLC Media Player and will definitely be checking it out. I don't like WMP 12.

o

this is a good link to several options so you can avoid having to use WMP
Free Alternatives To Windows Media Player

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here