Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

Posted by msm84 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 10:41

(Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool) Something I have never heard mentioned here was that this tool can be used anytime you think you have a problem or just want to scan as a precaution. As most people know this tool is updated everytime you have a Microsoft update, but I had no idea it could be used on demand until I heard about it on the local tech guys radio show. Just go to 'Start', 'Run", click on that and type in 'mrt" and hit 'go'. Easy as that the program comes up on your screen, then follow the directions ;o)

If you ever have a problem updating your Malwarebytes or other removal tools this would sure help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

Thanks msm84,

On my new Windows 7, there is no Start and Run.

Instead I Start, in the search box type run and enter, which brings up RUN. Click on that and will get the RUN box to type in the mrt and go. I just did a quick scan and all was well.

Possibly there is another way to get to the RUN box.

I'm saving this thread to my Computer (hints and tips) folder in Firefox.

Sue

o

Sue says Possibly there is another way to get to the RUN box

There is, click Start, All programs, Accessories and Run.

In many (perhaps most) cases it is necessary to right click on Run and click to run as administrator.

o

run command can be added to the start menu...
Right click blank space on bottom task bar, choose.. Properties
Then Start Menu tab
Then Customize button
scroll down a ways,, see a square check box for run.

o

For Windows 7, you can also just type in "mrt" (no quotes) and it will bring up the MRT. A box will appear asking if you want to allow the program to make changes on the computer, just click yes. Another box will appear, just click next. The next box will gives the option of what kind of scan: quick, full, custom. Click whatever kind of scan you want, then next. The scan will begin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here