Thanks
Marie
I have Windows 7 and Office 2007

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinion needed-please paid or not?

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 10:55

Malwarebytes - maybe the paid version has some benefits if you are prone to catching virus and free installs :) .. they have realtime bad url blocking, differs from any addon in that it stops other than just webpage loads.... they also have an anti-exploit free and paid.. you might look at.

Ccleaner free is fine. No paid benefits unless you use it commercially then paid is required.. Or if you want support.
SuperAntiSpyware free is fine. No paid benefits other than support.

Other.s.. you could pay me If you like catching hell for installing crap. and like to hear me complain alot:)

This post was edited by mikie on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 11:01

o

I don't use paid versions of any antivirus or malware scanners.

o

Since 1995 I have only paid for two years of Norton as an upgrade to the early years free McAfee. Other then that I have never spent a nickel. My personal position is the difference between free versions and the commercial upgrades can be made up by user awareness, and proper use protocols.

DA

o

To offer a contrasting view, I liken this to the difference between a manual transmission and an automatic transmission.

There are drivers who like to do their own shifting - they watch the tachometer, push in the clutch, move the gear selector and coordinate the movements depending on traffic, terrain, speed, etc. Others want to just get in the car and push on the accelerator and give it no further thought. Both approaches will get you to your destination.

I like driving a manual transmission and have always had at least one car so equipped. When it comes to PC security and maintenance, however, I don't personally want to spend even as much as a second thinking about it. I don't want to use multiple programs and have to remember to trigger them. Most inexperienced users are not well served by this approach.

Pick your approach, the comprehensive and integrated paid versions aren't expensive and will do all required tasks and more. Do a little internet shopping and buy a multi-user package you can share with family or friends, that can reduce the cost to $25 or less. As per the linked independent assessments (updated annually), your best choices are Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Webroot. I left out McAfee because of its history of being persnickety.

Here is a link that might be useful: PC Mag Security Ratings

o

As DA noted:- My personal position is the difference between free versions and the commercial upgrades can be made up by user awareness, and proper use protocols.

It suits me fine for free, most for a fee programs add auto update and other things I can do without.

o

After nabbing a "bonus" with a free software download and needing help at Landzdown, one of the techs there let me know about a sale for a lifetime Malwarebytes program and I purchased it.

o

Most of the pay for versions or pro versions are for businesses, I only take Free home versions and have for yrs. and I have no problems, have 4 PC's online in my home and all run well with Free AVG, free Malewarebytes and or Free ASC, yes they try to suck home users in of course it's their job, but not this home user..NO Way!

o

"Most of the pay for versions or pro versions are for businesses"

All sell packages with a 1-user license in retail stores and via internet sellers. The same can be procured from the sources via download. You're suggesting such packages are targeted only for businesses that have just 1 PC?

No guesses allowed, don't say if you don't know.

o

that's his opinion or feelings..
Very first words typed in this subject from the original poster;
"What is your opinion "

o

Yup.

My opinion is as his. However, in fairness I must admit I would have included the word "targeted" in the sentence of focus.

DA

o

I specifically said I would offer a contrasting view. Which I did with explanation and without being critical of anyone's opinion.

What I disagreed with was an unfounded speculation which I believe to be incorrect. If you don't like my one "for instance" to debunk the notion that individual customers aren't important to these companies, here's another. New PCs come with trial installs of AV software. The AV companies PAY the PC companies to do that for units being sold into consumer sales channels. AV software isn't preloaded onto units being sold to corporate customers.

Would they prefer a sale to a big company involving thousands or tens of thousands of licenses at once? Of course. But a sale of one license to each of thousands of different individuals is good too.

We've kinda been through this before on other disagreements. Y'all can have any opinions you want. Please don't make up "facts" to suit your biases.

o

I just reread this thread. Maybe I am missing something, but I don't read any reported as facts other than Snidely's, or any skewing of facts. What I do read is what can be categorized as life experiences, positions, opinions, or personal feelings.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 11:09

o

Thanks to each of you who gave your opinion and thoughts. Most of you are much more informative on computers that I am and I appreciate it. I did notice on CCleaner a couple of things I did not like ---that is some items were automatically done and I prefer to do them when I want to. Also it added a antivirus program I did not want.
Again thanks\
Marie

o

As someone who tries to be mindful of safe computing practices, the free versions work fine for me. However, if you are one of the multitude who are not..if you click on popups and links from unknown senders...download "free" software without vetting the source and are careless about letting PUPs in...then a good paid antivirus and paid anti-malware with online protection might be enough to save your behind when you get into trouble as you almost certainly will. It might also prevent the necessity of looking like a blithering idiot on a computer help forum complaining about a problem that you don't know how to explain.

o

Here's something I put on some peoples computers in hopes it stops the free extra installs. Very light weight on the system. Catchy name - UnChecky

Here is a link that might be useful: http://unchecky.com/

o

A,

"However, if you are one of the multitude who are not. if you click on popups and links from unknown senders...download "free" software without vetting the source and are careless about letting PUPs in....."

Perfect!

DA

o

Not quite perfect, though I mostly agree with azinoh.

Look at the recent thread "new issue now with Windows 7", describing a problem that arose from one of the "recommended" free programs. Sadly, comments about heavy-handed programs, undesired incompatibilities, periodic Restores followed by problems, creating a second problem when trying to fix the first problem, etc, come along regularly. Always by people who either got bad advice (in my opinion) or who are trying to save a few dollars and take the Roll Your Own approach. Frequently by people who don't have enough knowledge to do so successfully.

If you're not sure of your ability and knowledge levels, I'd say relying on yourself for tech support and security is the wrong choice and a risk not worth taking. Those who offer advice should be mindful of the capability level of the person asking the question in choosing what recommendations are most appropriate. Just because you "always" do something a certain way doesn't mean that a less knowledgeable or less experienced person should follow the same approach.

o

Thank you, Mikie. :)

o

marie-
I'm with snidely on this one. An issue with many computer users who have limited tech skills is that they think they have to get a bunch of maintenance programs to keep their computers running smoothly. Use of programs such as CCleaner when you are not knowledgeable can result in problems where none would have otherwise occurred. I don't use such programs and have never felt the need to in the 25 years I have been using computers. There are things I intentionally do myself to keep my computer running efficiently, but they are not critical and you yourself should normally not have to do this.

I do keep copies of the free Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware on my desktop and use them occasionally if I suspect I have an issue that my regular anti-virus (free Avast) didn't catch.

But in general, I just try to avoid sketchy websites to steer clear of problems, and I set my various browsers to clear all cookies, history, etc., each time I close the browser.

My advice to you is to post questions when you have a known problem, but don't go accidentally creating them by trying to maintain your computer by frequently running programs that you think might "help."

o

As the poster who suggested using Ccleaner in the original thread that caused the second thread "new issue now with Windows 7" I feel obliged to respond.

First, where is the mountain of evidence to suggest Ccleaner has become a bad program? A couple of links to reputable recently pubished tech sites would help.

I ask because in the last few days the Gremlins have been at my computer. Just 10 minutes ago without warning Firefox vanished from my computer with no warning. A pop up appeared (in my haste I forgot to take a screenshot of the pop up) from Firefox apologising and asking to send an error report. Firefox restarted with no further issues so far.

A few days ago on waking my computer everything appeared only on the right side of my screen. The complete picture but using just half the width. This with more than one program. It happened 2 days in a row and each time I corrected it, it has not happened since.

Piriform acknowledges as issue and offers a short tutorial to fix the issues apparently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here