Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dell Inspiron Computer

Posted by iggie (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 10:24

I have a Dell Inspiron 560 Desk top purchased a few months ago. I have had nothing but grief with the thing, the hard drive has been replaced 3 times under warranty. The computer is very slow takes from 3 to 5 minutes to come on. I have the windows 7 system. When I power computer on the Del logo appears, computer then switches to starting windows display, the 4 colored balls and sets at this point from 3 to 5 min sometimes longer. I have called Dell and they have been of little help. Is there anything I can do to fix this myself. I have CA virius protection provided by Road Runner my ISP. Also I do not have a lot of programs installed use computer mostly for email etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Iggie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dell Inspiron Computer

It's probably many start up programs from pre-installed software causing some of the issue. CA Anti Virus is one of those huge security suites that I don't like and could be causing issues too. What can you do? Check out what's starting up at start-up first and turn off unnecessary programs. See if that improves anything. Consider a free smaller less intrusive Anti Virus program.

o

Dell Tech Support should also be able to help you with the slowness. They 'should' be able to check and see if the problem is with 'start-up' programs.

If all else fails, you might see about them helping you with a reformatting...that is, emptying everything out, and reloading the Operating System.

I agree...there is probably a lot of junk stuff that has been loaded and that is starting at start-up.

o

personally if I had a pc that was only so many months old had alread had 3 hard drives replaced and has been badly functioning all this time I would DEMAND a refund or a replacement. There is a warranty and some are just plain lemons. Start calling every day and demand to speak to a supervisor and tell them you want to speak to someone in the USA they have to honor your requests.
If you sit by quietly till it is too late you are stuck, if you start screaming in their ear every day they will do something.

That right there is why I never recommend Dell anymore I hear it over and over, did not used to be that way, it used to be a very good pc company.

o

I have a 4 yr old Dell XPS 400 which runs just as well as it did when new. I'm typing this on a 3 yr old Inspiron 530 which has had a few minor software glitches but otherwise-almost perfect. Neither has had a hardware failure of any kind. I've never had to contact Dell for any reason nor have I ever had to reinstall the OS on any computer going back to 1993. Am I just lucky?

o

Installing a new HD requires a fresh OS install. Warranty work is done by dealer? And machine runs poorly after each repair?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here