Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning up computer from non-useful files

Posted by dee_can (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 10:23

Hi, I'm in the process of cleaning up my computer after doing some spyware/trojan removal; and I'm adding more spyware and other security programs such as Secunia.

I was looking at my programs in Secunia and I see a couple of Symantec (activex Control) programs that it is keeping updated. I actually uninstalled Norton a couple of years ago and used the Norton Removal Tool in the last couple of weeks, so I'm wondering if these Symantec programs have something to do with Norton? I know I can stop the updates to these in Secunia, but I can't find the actual Symantec files so I can delete them, if I should delete them, that is.

When I type Symantec into my search line (Vista), nothing shows up. And, I can't find Symantec under program files. Or should I even worry about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning up computer from non-useful files, Also...

Also, I uninstalled AVG (and used the removal tool) but I found these under Secunia Programs. I stopped the updates to them, but how do I actually remove them from my computer? I can't find them, either - they are not in Programs and Features (Vista); although I did remove two AVG Technology programs from Programs and Features yesterday, but unrelated to the ones Secunia was updating. Or, am I worrying about wanting my computer too clean? : ) Thanks.

o
RE: Cleaning up computer from non-useful files

did you remove the actual file for both of those AVG and Norton from your C programs? if not go to your Programs list and look for any files or folders that may be related to those names and delete them.

If you don't have either on the pc now I see no reason to have anything still updating from either of them.

another option to try is using App remover to see if it finds anything or REVO uninstaller both are free

AppRemover

Completely Uninstall Programs And More With Revo Uninstaller

o
RE: Cleaning up computer from non-useful files

Thanks, Raven. I was checking Program Files and didn't see anything there. I ended up looking under Program Data, and found a couple of files for AVG and Norton, so I deleted those. I'll see if that takes care of it. I'll also stop the updates in Secunia, which hopefully won't see any more files for those programs.

o
RE: Cleaning up computer from non-useful files, II

Hmm, I just found out the way to find out where the files that Secunia is updating are located. If you right click on the program in Secunia, and then click on 'show details', it shows the location and you can double click on it. The Symantec location led me to a folder called Shared Symantec (which I did not see directly under Program Files, but it was under Common Files under Program Files). I deleted the whole folder.

Hopefully it doesn't contain any files that I need seeing as it was 'shared'. I'll leave it in my recycling bin for awhile. Also I double-clicked the AVG location in Secunia, and deleted ALOT of AVG files. I guess I should have played around more, but sort of gave up when I didn't see anything under Program Files. Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here