Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adobe Reader, blocked?

Posted by carolssis (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 10:16

My friend, who is not very computer savvy was afraid to download Adobe Reader. I suggested she go to their site and download, but to also check EULA first to make sure it had no extra software attached. she emailed me back saying she had downloaded it, but now has it blocked until she needs it. This isn't something I'm familiar with so I wonder why she did it. Anyone have any idea? I thought the problems with adware, malware were coming in when downloading, not using the program. Am I wrong? TIa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adobe Reader, blocked?

Getting a pc user to open PDF files is one of the major ways virus writers infect computers.

o

Reading an EULA is pointless - it's boilerplate legalese, nothing more. The safe approach is to download software only from the source (the company or individual that produced it) or from trusted sites - Source Forge, File Hippo, etc., Watch what boxes are checked or unchecked as the install progresses.

"Getting a pc user to open PDF files is one of the major ways virus writers infect computers."

By using a capable internet security product on your PC, you'll minimize or elminate this risk.

o

What made her so wary was that she HAD Norton installed on her new computer. And she just spent the better part of the day on the phone with them removing adware, spyware, malware. I can understand her wariness, but just wondered about the use of a program already installed. I know the files she needs to open have been stored on and external hard drive, and came from her storing them on her old XP. I would assume that Norton is a "capable internet security product" and wonder how she got all the bad stuff on her new computer.
But is blocking the Adobe reader program useful? After it's installed?

o

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 21:41

I don't know if it is her anti-virus program or the adobe reader itself.. One of those two, for security reasons blocks it.

Pops a message, asking to allow it to open a pdf when she encounters one .. maybe with a short warning about trusts. Maybe with an option.. always allow this site.

Here's a little video about 7.5 minute from Adobe on their reader type products. Basically sounds like adobe pdf files are sandboxed now when run in protected mode. Runs in their own little secured environment. For version 11 anyhow.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://adobe.ly/x2344U

This post was edited by mikie on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 22:37

o

Norton is regarded as capable, though nothing is 100%.

Adware and spyware aren't generally malicious. People can tend to overreact when a scanning program pops up something as benign as a cookie.

Sounds like maybe files were infected before leaving the old XP machine. Or, could have picked something up on the external drive. Or both.

Sorry, not enough info is provided to allow my making a suggestion. If she has access to work with Norton tech support, she should continue doing so (so long as things resembling warning flags pop up when she's trying to do something). They're experts, we here are amateurs.

o

Way off base here, folks. She loaded the Adobe Reader, then she blocked it. The files on the external are ones she wrote, and have not been transferred to new computer. Sorry I mentioned them, just muddied the water. I assume she got her junkware while downloading new programs on her new computer.
I just don't understand the value of her blocking the Adobe program until she wants to use it. That's what I had never heard of. So, I question the value of that and why would you do it?

o

Block PDF is pretty much normal. I certainly approve each one to open on the web. I don't bother with adobe I just use firefox to open pdf's.. and the computer will ask me which program I want to open the pdf.

Probably her reading on security she knows opening pdf's can be a dangerous thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027946/researchers-zero-day-pdf-exploit-affects-adobe-reader-11-earlier-versions.html

o

Thanks Mikie, I appreciate the link and answer. She seems to have some aversion to using Firefox, though I can't figure why. I tried to explain how easy it is to use, the explanations for what things are and how to use them are understandable, but she won't listen, and installed a different browser. Don't know why she asks for advice then refuses to take it. I gave her lots of options for browser, malware detection, virus detection, and she still managed to get a bunch of crap on her new computer. Don't understand how. The Norton is a 90day pre-install. I think I'm going to give up on the advice. I have a new computer also, and have not downloaded crapware doing installs of this that and the other. I guess I know a little more and understand more of what I do know. Thanks again for the help.

o

Maybe she might be interested in this program ...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://unchecky.com/

o

The linked PC World article is 18 months old. So-called security gaps are often discussed with the affected company before public announcements are made. That problem might have been resolved before it was announced.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here