Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Live Disk Security?

Posted by mxyplx (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 9:34

I stuck in a live linux CD - Slacko - ordered some new checks online (1 box = 150 checks probly last till 2022) and they coughed up a confirmation with all my numbers etc and said print it. Print it? I just copied it then stored it in root then openend sda1 and copied it to My Docs, removed the CD (w/o saving), rebooted to W/XP, looked in My Docs and there it is. Numbers and all. Well where is the insulation supposedly provided by a live linux CD?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Live Disk Security?

When any Linux distro is installed on a PC that also has Windows, people typically partition the hard drive to separate files of the two worlds. I say typically, not always, and it isn't necessary to do. They can co-exist on one partition.

You say you used a live disk on an XP machine, so that's just a temporary state from the boot disk. Any files saved only have one place to go, as you found out.

I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish. All Linux distros have comprehensive forums and support sites; you won't find much Linux expertise here.

o
RE: Live Disk Security?

you simply copied text did not try to install a program or anything dangerous.

and you made the move you opened sda1

in regular application when using a live cd nothing is saved to the hard drive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here