Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need an email program on computer?

Posted by secsteve (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 9:31

Do I really need an email program on computer to receive mail when I have an email on my ISP?

That thought occurred to me today as I was looking at various free email programs to put on the PC. I can receive, send, make folders and darn near everything else I do now on the old program.

Other than being convenient, I can't think of a good reason to not just use what the ISP provides.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need an email program on computer?

If you're happy with using webmail from your ISP
then you don't have to use an email program on your computer.

Pooh Bear

o

I have used the email service from my ISP since Noah and I left the Ark but there is a problem. Having used it so long it now becomes quite difficult to consider changing ISP should the need arise - or they price themselves too high.

However, the ISP provided account is used for family and close friends only. Any other needs, like registering at Gardenweb and elsewhere or seeking info from a company for example, is done with one of 3 space based email accounts.

o

owbist what is a space based email account?

o

I think he's talking about email from agnostic sources - Yahoo mail, Gmail, etc., You can change your ISP as frequently as you like and still have the same address to use.

Which brings up a thought to share - sometimes you can save money on your internet connection by changing your supplier periodically. Most offer cut rates for new customers. Switch to take advantage of that, and then when the reduced price period ends, switch to another provider (maybe the one you left originally) who likely also offers a deal for new customers.

Many mail services - like Gmail - can be set up to collect email messages from multiple accounts and concentrate everything in one central place. It helps you avoid the annoyance of multiple logins, but if you do that with non-work related email accounts, it does bring into question why you need more than one account in the first place.

Oh, and for the OP, really there's no advantage or disadvantage to using a mail program. Maybe you prefer the user interface, but there's likely little difference between any one and the web experience using a browser

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here