Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
screen went dim

Posted by naturelle (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 8:31

I never had this problem before. I bought a used 27" iMac to replace an older model. Everything was good for a week or two, then one morning when I turned on the computer from sleep mode, the screen was noticeably dimmer than it was before. I did not do anything that I know to have caused that.

I cannot access Apple help, as they are closed for maintenance, or something, so would appreciate help here.

I'm sure it's a simple fix, but having fiddled, I have not been able to figure it out.

I'm on Mountain Lion.

This post was edited by naturelle on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 8:34

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: screen went dim

Take a looksee here. I have no experience with Apple stuff so I had to goggle it :~)

You might need to look through a few to find the right answer for your problem.

o

Thank you so much. Actually, I did not have to look at much. One of the links was concerning a dimming problem, but it was a more serious problem than mine, as they tried everything, without success. However, in the discussions, they referenced the dimming and brightening keys on the keyboard. I had no idea of their existence. Sure enough, I found them and that was the problem. I must have hit them, when I was fumbling for another key.

The keyboard is a wireless, which came with the purchase of the iMac, and it's about 1/2 the size. Very nice for a hunt and peck typist like me, much easier to use, as my peripheral vision sees the whole panel. Also, I can use it off my lap while I lean back on my reclining chair.

Thanks again, I now see the light!!

o

Glad to read it was a simple fix. Another happy camper :~)

o

naturelle-
A friendly suggestion: you need to read the manual. Otherwise I suspect that you will have a series of problems, or you will not be aware of certain basic, time saving features. Look at your keyboard: if there are any symbols you don't recognize, you should research them in the manual. You should also be aware of certain keystroke combinations that will make your experience much easier. I'm not trying to insult you, but virtually all keyboards have screen brightness controls. If you were unaware of this, I'm betting that there are other useful things you might find out going through the manual.

o

I've been on a iMac for about 7 years. The previous keyboard, which I still have, does not have keys with the dimming and brightening icons on them. Those icons show on the new keyboard specifically on the F! and F2 keys. Possibly, those same keys on the previous keyboard may serve the same function? Well, it's too late to worry about that now, but you have a point, there are no doubt other useful strokes which are available to me, should I study the manual.

o

I am not a iMac user just an occasional iMac reader. I believe the F1 and F2 viewing concept has been around fro a while.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here