SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krikit_gw

hisense sero 7 pro tablet

krikit
10 years ago

I am thinking of buying tablet - this will be my first. I have a laptop with Windows 7 and use Comcast/Xfinity as my service provider. I use Comcast email. If I go with an android tablet will I be able to use my comcast email or do I have to go with gmail? Also, do I need to run an antivirus on an android tablet. I was considering an ipad mini, but there is a considerable difference in the price and thought this might be a good choice instead. If anyone can think of a reason I'd be better off with the mini, please say so. I'm still on the fence about it, ha! Thanks in advance!!!!

Frances

Comments (3)

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

krikit-
    You need to set up a Google account to fully use the android tablet (e.g., Google apps require this), but you don't need to use it afterwards. I have an Android tablet and, once I set it up, I've never bothered with the Google account. I continue to use my Hotmail and Yahoo accounts, and a different Google email.

(Now tying your email to Comcast will be a problem when/if you ever switch ISPs, which is why it is always best to have your email from a source independent of your ISP...but that's another issue.)

All devices and all operating systems should ideally have some sort of antivirus, and I use the free Lookout app for that on my Android phone and tablet.

I also have an iPad and I can guarantee that you will probably have a happier experience with an Apple product, like the iPad mini. If you choose Apple, you will have: a better screen, probably better battery life, higher quality components and good customer service. I won't give you an opinion about the Hisense product, since I'm not familiar with it. It does cost considerably less than the iPad mini, and that's a valid consideration. And it may satisfy all your needs. On budget tablets, they do have to economize on the components they use, and that may mean things like slightly slower performance or a shorter wireless range. If you can go into a store and play with the two tablets side-by-side, it might help you decide.

One last thing: If you are tempted to get the iPad mini you may want to consider buying a refurbished one from the Apple store; they are currently $279. I decided to buy a refurbished iPad from Apple, and it comes with the same 1 year warranty as new, and with a new battery and new housing. It came pristine and fully packaged, and it was impossible to tell that it was a refurb unit.

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 14:53

• krikit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Kudzu9! That is exactly the info I needed. I am leaning toward the Ipad mini - went and looked at it today, and like you said - the refurbished is a really good deal!!!!

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

krikit-
    Glad the info was of use. I have been a Windows and Android person, and my kids have been bugging me for years to use Apple products. I have now had an iPad for about 6 months and have to say it is a really refined product. I still use my Android tablet, but, given the choice, I prefer to use the iPad. One of these days I may have to get the mini as it would be great for travel purposes.

Have fun!

(P.S.: Just so you're not surprised, the one thing that the iPad and iPad mini do not have is GPS/Navigation capability, unless you buy the more expensive data plan models. I didn't plan to use my tablet for navigation -- I use my Android phone for that -- so this was not an issue for me when I purchased my wifi only iPad.)

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 18:26