Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
iPad-Gardenweb-Popups

Posted by maddielee (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 8:04

Is there anyway to block these awful Popups ads that people with iPads are getting while surfing Gardenweb forums?

The green underlined words in forum messages turn into a Popup box that connect to the App Store if you happen to touch the screen in the wrong spot.

So far, this seems to be only happening on tablets,maybe only iPads?

If there is a secret to stopping these, please share.

Thank you,
ML

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: iPad-Gardenweb-Popups

If you also have a mac and are using the ipad on the same wifi network, you can download glimmerblocker and configure that to work with the ipad as well. I don't know of an equivalent if you use windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: configure glimmerblocker

o

Thanks, no MAC :(

ML

o

I have an iPad and this was happening to me last week for a couple of days. I thought I may have had a virus. After doing some reading, I was pretty much assured that wasn't the case but I downloaded Lookout from the app store anyway. I don't know whether it was coincidence but after a couple of days, the popups disappeared.

o

You can opt out of seeing those green underlined words.

Go to the very bottom of this page and under the section that says Information About Posting, click on the line that says...
"Learn more about in-text links on this page here".

o

Thanks shaxhome, this is what I see when I go to the link:

"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e37'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'GeoIPCityBlocks'.

/whatisintellitxt/gardenweb.asp, line 109"

I have contacted the fine folks at Gardenweb, will let you know what they advise.

ML

o

The opt out link is dead for me now. I opted out ages ago but I still get some green links on the PC. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: opt out link

o

Does anyone know how to make the opt-out link work? I see today the pop up messages are about four times bigger than they were. They are really horrible.

Donna

o

Yeah the page is down it seems. Mary

o

Can you get Adblocker for iPad? It does a dandy job on my laptop.

o

I have noticed some users with iPads are downloading an "application" called adblock, I'm not an IPAD user so I don't know much about it, but I did run into a conservation about it on another forum here at Gardenweb and it was recommend.

o

I have Adblock on my iPad and I still have the underlined words and pop ups.

Donna

o

I don't think add block will do anything for those, you need to opt out and the link is broken. Mary

o

Here is the main page for the add company. If you go to opt out in the upper right it will scan and list the companies then you can select all and click opt out, maybe that will stop it here as this is where they come from. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Opt out

o

Does "Adblock?" allow subscribing to "Easylist"?

I know "Adblock Plus" does, and although I still occasionally see the green double underlined text, the pop-up effect is gone.

Stopped by the filter listed by "mapx" in this post on the Adblock Plus open forum. (Can't easily post a vertical bar here)

As for "Opting out", personally, I will not. From this help page:

In order for our opt-out tool to function correctly, your browser must allow Javascript, and third party-cookies.

Personally, I won't enable third party cookies, but that's just me.

Also, inspecting the source of that same help page I see that if I were using IE, it would also tell me:

In addition, if you are using Internet Explorer version 6 or later, your settings must be set to medium or lower.

Again, it might just be me but it seems counter-intuitive to lower security to avoid being exposed to garbage I don't want to be exposed to.

I just wanted to say that yes, Adblock Plus does stop it. On my computer that is, I don't have an iPad.

Edit: Grammar

This post was edited by chuggerguy on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 2:45

o

Didn't know that about opt out. I did it a long time ago on the forums and the green things went away and I have had no problems. Mary

o

I went to Privacy in the iPad settings and turned on limit ad tracking. So far I've only seen one thread with the green underlines and no pop ups opened.

Fingers crossed they will stay gone!

Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here