Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Note Pad ???

Posted by big_al_41 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 6:46

I feel stupid asking ..but how do I access it ? Never tried it before and I want to now. If I click copy on something how do I bring it up to view etc.

I am running a vista 64

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Note Pad ???

It's in the Accessories list in WinXP...assuming it's there in Vista, also. Start\All Programs\Accessories. I made a shortcut in Quick Launch for it and use it quite frequently.

o

In vista,
Open Notepad by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Programs, clicking Accessories, and then clicking Notepad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Notepad frequently-asked-questions

o

Or just right click your desktop, New... Shortcut... type in
Notepad

o

Thanks everyone !!!!

o

ok, here's a dumb question.
What's the advantage of using Notepad over Word or Google Docs?

o

That's similar to asking what's the advantage to watching color vs. black and white. Notepad is a very simple text editor with extremely limited formatting and features. You can download free text editors that are more powerful than Notepad.

BTW, the Windows OS also offers with all versions something called Wordpad, which is Notepad on steroids. Not nearly as full-featured as Word, but not all that bad. It produces rich text files (rtf), while Notepad produces plain text files (txt).

o

Wordpad file was named Write before Microsoft changed the name to the present Wordpad filename.

I couldn't live without notepad or its slighly enhanced version named Edit Pad Lite.

o

What actually do you do with it? If you save something, where does it go?

o

10 Amazing Things You Can Do With Notepad

if you ever have to participate in cleaning up an infection on your pc at say LzD for example you would use notepad in some of those cases.

lots of stuff you can do with notepad
google search will provide plenty of ideas

use your notepad

o

socks-
Wherever you want it to go. Click on "File", "Save As", and choose the location. It's just like any other file saving operation.

o

It opens instantly, nothing fussy-like Word. Just open, paste and close. I keep it on my quick-launch and use it all the time. Its great for a quick copy/paste.

Try it and you'll wonder how you managed without it.

Jane

o

I put shortcuts to NotePad and WordPad in my SendTo folder so I can right-click on a file and select SendTo NotePad or WordPad. I use NotePad and WordPad frequently for editing HTML pages.

o

dadoes how did you put them in your send to folder. I tried to find the send to folder and didn't have any luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here