Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Secunia Question after installing

Posted by luis_pr (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 5:01

I installed Secunia PSI after reading information about it on this forum. Odd program. When I hover the cursor over the taskbar icon, it says that there are programs that require manual updates so, I click on the icon, a screen outline appears and then disappears. Is that normal? I am running Windows XP SP3 and IE 8.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Secunia Question after installing

I'd uninstall Secunia and reinstall it. Sounds like you got a bad download/installation.

o

I do not think so. This is not the first time I have tried -unsuccessfully- to reinstall and could not get anything but the outline of the secunia window for a second or two. Note: after unistalling, I have restarted the PC.

Just in case, I tried again (now) the unistall and it still did the same thing after I rebooted and reinstalled it.

o

Try using the online scan version, see if you have any problems with it.

o

Might want to try revo uninstaller, this will get rid of possible reg keys that may be an issue, then once more reinstall it, after cleaning out temp files. If problems persist I think there is an on line version of the program that runs from the web site no install necessary.

Please download and install Revo Uninstaller Free. See link below:

* Double click Revo Uninstaller to run it.

* From the list of programs double click on The Program to remove

* When prompted if you want to uninstall click Yes.

* Be sure the Moderate option is selected then click Next.

* The program will run, If prompted again click Yes

* when the built-in uninstaller is finished click on Next.

* Once the program has searched for leftovers click Next.

* Check/tick the bolded items only on the list then click Delete

* when prompted click on Yes and then on next.

* put a check on any folders that are found and select delete

* when prompted select yes then on next

* Once done click Finish.

NEXT

Clean out your temporary internet files and temp files.

Download TFC by OldTimer click Here to your desktop. Click the Save file tab, save it to the desktop. Then double click it to run it.

Double-clickTFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin

* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
* Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
* Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.

Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Why are we doing that, well installs can leave left overs in a temp file that might cause an issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: .revouninstaller

o
On line version

Hi,

This link will get you to the on line version of secunia, I've never used it my self..

Here is a link that might be useful: osi/online

o

I don't like that Secunia program. Twice on my own computers, once maybe 2 yrs ago,, and just recently installed it. Both times there were problems with a simple download/install. I tinkered with it and then got rid of it fast.

I will give it credit for one thing... it listed some of my programs that were up to date nicely, but it surely doesn't show all installed programs ... an odd thing it does was it wanted to update two programs that were uninstalled - one recent uninstall,, and one thats been gone a very long time.

From my own personal experiences,, I would never recommend that program.

o

I personally always use the online scan and have never had any problems with it. There's a few other ones around that do similar update information but I have never tried them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here