Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HP Laptop

Posted by iggie (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 1:37

I want to thank everyone who answered my post, however I still need help. I cannot connect to the internet via wireless or directly. I purchased a Cisco wireless USB plug type wireless adapter and plugged it in to the laptop hoping to get a wireless connection, nothing. I tried tapping F8 and connecting to Goggle as 1` post suggested, nothing. Get same message cannot connect to the internet. When I use the automatic repair feature I get a message saying they cannot fix problem and suggest I call my internet provider( Time Warner) When I call them I am told nothing is wrong with my internet service, which is true because I can access it by wireless or by direct connecting using other computers. Is there anyway to fix this laptop. Road Runner is my internet vehicle and my laptop uses windows Vista . Any suggestions or advice will be deeply appreciated. Iggie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HP Laptop

Have you power cycled your network yet? I'm not remembering your earlier post.

Unplug power to your modem and router.
After waiting for 1 minute, plug in the modem only and let it get connected to the internet. Typically you will see the light go steady rather than blinking. Plug in the router and wait about 2 minutes before attempting to connect to your wireless network.
Make sure that you are keying in the network password exactly as it is entered in the router security setup, upper case letters are not the same as lower case letters, everything must be keyed in perfectly. If you enter it incorrectly, you could get no error and no internet connection.

o

You may also want to try the reset button on the wireless router.

o

The other thing to try is to reinstall the network adapter from device manager, enter device manager> find the wireless adapter>right click on it and choose "Uninstall" reboot the computer. Windows will reinstall it.

o

This exercise may help too,

Windows 7 and Vista

From the Start menu, select Control Panel, or Settings and then Control Panel.Double-click Network and Sharing Center.

From the list of tasks on the left, click Change adapter settings (in Windows 7), or Manage network connections (in Vista).

For a wired network connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.

For a wireless network connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then select Properties.

From the Networking tab, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), make sure it is checked, and then click Properties.

Click Obtain an IP Address Automatically, and then click OK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here