Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me get rid of Babylon!

Posted by gogwmos (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 0:53

I have downloaded several apps through Amazon for my Kindle Fire and apparently Babylon Search comes with one of them. It has replaced my home page, and even when I change my homepage back it fires up Babylon the next time I reboot.

I don't want it or need it, it isn't on the list of programs to remove, how do I make it all go away?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me get rid of Babylon!

Try this

o

It is horrible and just digs in, malwarebytes will remove it on the pc but I don't know what to suggest for the kindle fire.
Have you gone to settings then applications then manage applications click on the app name in the options and select unistall. If it is listed that might do it.
You might try installing Astro file manager to see the files easier and weed it out there.
Or unistall all the apps you installed and got this from. I always suggest getting one app at a time and make sure you have no problem with it before adding another that way you know the culprit.

Were these apps from the amazon store?

o

Owbist, I read several of the uninstall options but there is no icon on my toolbar nor is it in "uninstall programs".

Raven, it isn't a problem on the Kindle, but Amazon is where I think it came from, I haven't done any downloading on the computer except from Amazon for books and apps to be sent to the Kindle, all from Amazon.

Forgive me, I am in grade school when it comes to this stuff, please walk me through your suggestions. I do know for sure it isn't in the add/remove programs list.

Thanks so much!

o

If it were me, I'd call Amazon tech support directly and have them help with this problem: 1-866-321-8851

o

Okay so let's make sure we are on the same page, I am understanding you to say that the babylon is on the kindle fire and you got it from apps you got from the Amazon Store is that correct or do you have the babylon on your pc? Not sure how we got from kindle to pc here?? Are you not using the kindle itself to get the apps?
If the babylon problem resides in the pc then run an updated malwarebytes free scan. You can search here for links and instructions, I have provided them several times. I am not at my pc right now.

o

If its Internet Explorer... look in add-ons and change the search provider and mark it.. dont let others change it.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i45.tinypic.com/654px5.jpg

o

Raven, it is only on my laptop, NOT in the Kindle, but I believe that downloading the apps from Amazon is where it came from. Sorry for the misguidance!

Mikie, I use Firefox.

Kudzu, I will do that if we can't fix it here.

Thanks all!

o

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Win) - Detecting and Removing Malware
update it and run full scan let it delete what it finds you will need to reboot if it tells you to. Tell me what it finds and if babylon is gone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here