Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Virtual memory problem

Posted by mudlady (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 0:49

Here I am, Computerdyslexic, in need of help again. I am doing a lot of online searching for a specific Vera Bradlay purse in a particular color and I am going through huge searches at various sites. Whatever site I open crashes and a message appears telling me my computer needs more virtual memory. How do I increase my XP's virtual memory? Thanks in advance for an help offered.
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Virtual memory problem

I don't claim to be an expert, but I DO now how to "Google"!

Here is a link that might be useful: Try This

o

If this problem is a recent development, it might be interesting to learn what the VM is currently set at before deciding that it needs to be changed. If it hasn't been a problem before, why is it a problem now? Could it be something else?

My XP's VM is set at 2046MB FWIW....and I've never needed to change it in 5 years.

o

You might want to check how much spare space is on the hard drive. For the Swap file to work efficiently you need a minimum of 25% free space on the hard drive. To see your free space click Start, click My computer. Windows 7 shows it, XP you need to right click on the C drive then click Properties to see.

Imagine the difference in mixing a 2 quart cake in a 2 quart basin or a 4 quart basin, that is the difference with a Swap file, it needs room. Watch the front of your computer for how busy the activity light is, another good indicator.

o

that was my first thoughts... when running out of hard drive space that message pops ...

need to know how much hard drive free space and how much ram memory she has before anyone can think about it.

o

run a belarc it will tell you a lot of that pertinent info all in one place
Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit

o

Hi,

This scan will show us amount of Hard drive space and more,

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/MiniToolBox.exe and run it. Link below.....

Checkmark following boxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
Click Go and post the result.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: MiniToolBox

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here