Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
e-mail hacked

Posted by sugar_fl (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 23:57

I have a friend who appearently had her Email hacked into. It sent me & others a letter with a URL in it that had to be copied & pasted to open. Something told me not to do that but I did open the letter as I thought it was from her. One person must have as he mailed her & asked why she sent that to him.. does she & the rest of us have anything to worry about? Is it safe to open her mail?
I'm going to do an Avast boot scan when I go to bed & do a MWB scan now.
Dar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: e-mail hacked

It's always possible that the person was just 'spoofing' your friend's address (i.e. using his/her own account to send an email as if from your friend. But to be on the safe side, in case it truly was a hacker -- or is it 'cracker' ? -- your friend needs to change her account's password and double-check other email settings (alternate email address, any changes in forwarding addresses, security question, etc.). Other things might be possible depending on what her email service is.

Afterwards, it should be safe to open her emails.

She could always take one other precaution: slightly change her 'from' name (and inform her contacts) so that from now on those receiving emails from her can be on their guard. E.g. if emails from her usually say, from "Mary Jones," she could change it to say "Mary R. Jones." That way anyone getting an email 'from' "Mary Jones" will know it's not genuine. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here