Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Email problems

Posted by sugar_fl (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 23:32

windows 7

For some unknown reason my Thunderbird stopped working.
I went to charter & they had me change my password. OK it works in charter but how do I get it to work in Thunderbird? Of course Charter was no help with that. I sure don't want to have to use charter mail.
Thanks in advance.
Dar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Email problems

So are you actually getting

"Mozilla Thunderbird Has stopped working" Message on the screen?

If not can you identify the exact problem you're experiencing with Thunderbird.

o

Zep,

I've got it going.. sure glad as I didn't want to lose Thunderbird.
Dar

o

Great...another mystery computer problem followed by a mystery solution. ::Sigh::

o

Dar, like azinoh, I am also sighing. My TBird is erratic. Would you please tell us how you solved the problem? I have googled but so far no solution. Thank you.

Sue

o

I don't know what the mystery solution was, but for me perhaps twice a year I have to go into the TB options and re-enter my passwords (4 configured e-mail accounts). I don't know why. A window just appears, and reports TB will not connect.

DA

o

SORRY,
All I did was go to Charter & they helped me change my password there.
I put the new password in TB where it said my pass word failed.
Then TB worked as usual.
Dar

o

Passwords? I'm supposed to have a password for TB? As far as I can remember, I've never had a password for TB. I've been using it for a long time.

I looked at Options, and I don't see anything about passwords.

The problem that I do have is that I will check for emails, read, reply, or not as appropriate. When I go in again, which might be a couple hours or the next day, TB opens but often there is No preview available in the pane. Then I turn off, wait, come back and it is working again.

Win7, Firefox. TB default, version 31.0

Sue

o

Sue-va

I know mine didn't work until I got a new password from Charter & put it in TB. I had a popup that asked for the password. That's where I entered it.
There is a lot of info in this TB site. I haven't read them but saw enough to see that it is about TB passwords. I hope this can help someone. Everyone there has sure been a help to me.
Dar

o

OOPS forgot the link.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww&gws_rd=ssl#hl=en&q=thunderbird+password
I hope it works.
Dar

o

I should have done it this way..Sorry

Here is a link that might be useful: TB password

o

E-mail *always* requires a password. The password is sent from the user's computer to the mail server *every* time e-mail is checked. Thunderbird saves it on the first entry when set up, if the appropriate option is enabled to do so, then doesn't ask for it on successive log-ins ... *unless* the password is changed on the server account in which case the password Thunderbird has saved internally no longer matches the server.

o

That is correct. I got myself way out in front of myself.

I meant the e-mail account password, and I have to reenter it in a window provided by TB when the connection fails.

DA

o

I wonder how my pass word got changed? I didn't do it.
Dar

o

I went to sugar's link and read/and/or looked at the password info there. Very complicated. "As far as I can remember, I've never had a password for TB. I've been using it for a long time." copied from my earlier post here.

I have always kept my own list of my passwords in my Word file. When I have needed to update or change a password for any of them I make the change in that file, and keep a print copy on my desk for a quick look if needed. I don't see where I have ever had or changed one for TB there, and I've never had a window asking for one.

So why TB has become a problem now is a mystery. Until it becomes critical I will just wait and see.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sue

o

Sue, an e-mail account password cannot be arbitrarily changed with Thunderbird. Thunderbird is not in control of the password, the server controls it. Thunderbird simply sends the password to the server that's already configured there, to signal to the server that "hey, this is legitimately Sue (because she has the correct password) who wants to open her mailbox."

If you wish to change an e-mail password (for Gmail, Yahoo, your local ISP, whatever mail service may be involved), the change must first be done at the service provider. Then you enter that new password into Thunderbird when prompted for it.

Thunderbird configuration does not provide a direct entry field for the password. Some e-mail programs do, Thunderbird does not. It will prompt for the password when needed.

There's a checkbox on the password entry dialog Use Password Manager to remember this password. Enabling that option will make Thunderbird retain the password in its internal settings from that point on and thus not need to ask for it again ... unless the password is changed on the server which causes what Thunderbird has saved to be wrong.

If the "remember password" option is not enabled, then Thunderbird won't save it and will prompt for the password each time mail is checked for the first time during a new session.

There may be passwords involved for both receiving and sending mail. Usually it's the same password both but in some instance they can be different.

o

Dadoes, I have copied, pasted, and saved your post in my Word file. Thanks.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here