Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how am I getting PUPS? What is Silverlight?

Posted by carolssis (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 23:13

I have not downloaded anything for a long time. So how is it that Malwarebytes keeps finding PUPS on my computer? 58 instances last time. Seems like a lot, and slows down start and shut down considerably.
Also, just what is the program Silverlight supposed to be for?
Acer Laptop, Vista, Firefox. No problems at current time. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how am I getting PUPS? What is Silverlight?

Silverlight is a Microsoft program similar to but different from Flash player. I don't install it and its rare a page will ask to allow it to install. Some Microsoft site video's mostly use it.

Pups if you didn't install on purpose, come with installs of regular programs usually .. when you take the default install methods that's when most pups get installed. I always do a custom install and look at every thing.. usually uncheck boxes that would install the extra free stuff.

o

I run my security programs about 2 to 3 weeks apart. I know I did not install anything since last security runs. There were several instances of Conduit/Search/Protect, some in registry value or key. Malwarebytes removed them or quarantined them all. But I KNOW I did not install a program. I have more programs than I need, now. I just can't figure out where they come from. I do email, read news online, read forums. That's pretty much all I do. Makes no sense that the pups are on here. Thanks for the reply.

o

Among other things, Silverlight is required for Netflix streaming.

There are benign tracking cookies and other like things that some scan programs blow a siren about. Take 'em off, leave 'em on, your choice. They're like weeds in the lawn doing no harm that some people dislike and others ignore.

Get a security program that runs itself and does so at least weekly.

o

Malwarebytes and such are good to have and use but they tend to be unnecessarily alarmist on some things. I *never* bother with deleting cookies, any cookies, for example.

o

I've had trouble with PUPs too. The attached link helped, particularly running AdwareCleaner before Malwarebytes. My computer sped up considerably.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: PUP.DataMngr Removal Guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here