Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Under $300 digital cameras

Posted by luis_pr (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 22:02

My camera finally died and am researching some replacements. Which one(s) would you recommend for general pictures, close-ups of shrubs (leaves, stems, flowers, fruits) and correct colors (reds for example are notoriously difficult).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Under $300 digital cameras

Kodak I think quit making digi camera's but the stores still have them. Under $100 you should find one with like 14mpix - and macro setting for super detailed close ups.

I call their color 'Disney Colors. Bright and colorful. 'Even their $50 pocket cams take excellent colors on all I've seen. As compared to the standard popular much more expensive Nikons and Canons.

Sony is another digi cam that usually seems to have vivid colors. But reliability seems poor.

o

Over the last 12 years I've owned 4 Panasonic Lumix cameras, and they are all still working. I've been very satisfied with their performance and how they render photos. The newer models have great features and really powerful zooms. And they're compact. I used to haul a bunch of camera bodies and lenses around on trips; now I just put my Lumix in my pocket. The ZS20 model is available on Amazon for $170.

If you want to read an in-depth review, check the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Lumix ZS20 review

o

I've had very good results from Canon pocket and larger cameras - it's a camera company and it has a wide range of products at different price points, including within the range that interests you.

Kodak went into bankruptcy and I don't think the consumer camera business continues. That's not an endorsement for a product line in my eyes, but you can make your own decision.

o

Kodak sold off all the consumer lines and digital imaging labs, which they still have access to for their new business.... image sensors are used still by some of the higher end camera manufactures.. Apparently still in production but not by the Kodak we knew. The Kodak camera prices now in the retail markets are excellent values and I assume someone is marketing the Kodak brand name and has assumed the warrantee's. Is it old stock ? I don't know.. but is it quality camera's = Yes.

They came out of bankruptcy .. oddly sold many things to their retirement funds company in UK. Now Kodak seems just in the commercial printing business.

o

snidely-
I agree...I've also had good luck with two Canons I've purchased in the last ten years. Depending on the model, it's a tossup in my mind most of the time between Panasonic and Canon in terms of features and quality of pictures for comparably priced cameras. It's just important to look at in-depth reviews since all manufacturers unexpectedly come out with an "Edsel" every so often.

o

My very old Olympus died just before a trip at Christmas time and since I couldn't get the canon D60 with lenses I wanted right then I bought a Fujifilm SL1000 and have been very happy with it. Paid about $320 plus tax as shipping was free where I bought from. My friend had just gotten this and after playing with hers decided it was good enough for me. I really like the zoom and it has super macro on it and my photos come out great. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: fujifilm SL1000

o

My quest was for a camera that could capture accurate colors of iris and roses.

I saw my brother's pocket size Canon S230 (pocket size) was doing a better job on peach colored iris so I bought a Canon A95 (excel reviews, point and shoot but not pocket sized). I loved my old Olympus C3020 for reds and blues but figured it could die soon. Was I disappointed with my Canon! Did not do as good a job as my brother's on peach colors and not nearly as good as the Oly on reds, lavenders! The Oly did die after 7-8 years of service and the Canon croaked after only 3 years.

I kicked myself for not spending more for a Panasonic (the many many iris pics taken with the DMC-FZ20 that I saw were consistently excellent).

In desperation 2 years ago, before iris season, I bought a used $40 Sony W290. Quite good on all iris colors as Sony fans claimed, but there was a missing quality I can't define. Picked up a $100 used Canon G9 last year and I'm at last satisfied. Very good on iris and excellent on roses.

So I've concluded that the model is quite as important as the maker. I like the Canon G series better than a friend's Canon EOS Rebel T2i DSLR --- tried it for a few weeks. Still itching to try a Panasonic. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here