Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mouse cuts out

Posted by breenthumb (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 22:00

I have a wired optical mouse that occasionally just stops working. I've discovered that if I unplug it and replug it, it will just start right up again. Can't help wondering what makes that happen.

It's ergonomic, only available online, and kind of pricey so I'm happy to keep it going. Any ideas what's going on? Thanks, Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mouse cuts out

My wireless does that when the battery needs replaced.

I'd probably try plugging in into a different USB port to see if that helps.

Maybe someone else will know something else to try.

o

Reinstall it.

DA

o

If you have an old mouse you don't use and have room for it, plug it in as well. They will work together. If one touch on the old mouse jump starts your expensive one, you are set. If it seems to have the same fault, carefully check your mouse set up routine on your computer for something that has changed.

o

They don't last forever...especially if they get knocked on the floor one time too many. You could go out and buy a $10 mouse to have as a spare. If it works, you'll know the old mouse is probably in fail mode and if it doesn't work you'll know something else is wrong.

o

Thanks. I do have another pretty good backup. Just curious what would make it stop then start right up again when replugged. It only happens every month or two.

It's never fallen on the floor. That's the beauty of a wired mouse. Instead of chasing it, I just swing it back up onto the desk...often. Hmmm...I'll bet, little by little, it's just tugging its way loose! Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here