Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What photo program to use?

Posted by gloriam (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 21:57

I am using windows 8.1 HP and Printer is HP. I want to scan pictures and crop them and be able to put them on FB. What program would be the best for windows 8.1? Never done this on 8.1 but have done this for many years on other windows computers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What photo program to use?

You want the BEST? REALLY??? That would probably be Adobe Photoshop and depending on how much "best" is acceptable to you will set you back as little as $80 or as much as $500 and maybe more since I hear they are moving to a monthly cloud-based subscription service.

On the other hand, if you can settle for something free which is not the "best", Irfanview is pretty good at cropping and resizing images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Irfanview

o

"scan pictures and crop them and put them on FB"

So simple operation, for low-resolution output? Basic editing, such as lightening, contrast, color-correcting?

Irfanview will work just fine, and it's free.
http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/

If you want to get into pixel-by-pixel fancy stuff, The GIMP (www.gimp.org) does some amazing stuff, and it's also free.

I've done side-by-side editing comparisons between The GIMP and Photoshop, making complex clean-up and fancy effects and the judges couldn't tell which software was used ... their budget could tell.

o

And if you decide on the excellent Irfanview be sure to also get the plugins

o

OWBIST .... My, they have been BUSY making plugins since I last downloaded it.

This one sounds great!
FILTERS_UNLIMITED - (version 3.20): allows IrfanView to use Filters Unlimited files (Photoshop PlugIns and filters)

o

No need to pay for any simply download "Photoscape" it's free and awesome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photoscape

o

Another vote for Irfanview here. You don't have to scan them....simply edit your photos in Irfanview and save them with the changes. On FB, choose "upload photo" when you're ready to add one to our page.

o

gloriam, what program have you used in the past? Is there a reason to not continue using it?

evenshade, physical copies of photos (something you can hold in your hand) get "scanned" to put them into digital (computer) file format.

o

I took ES's reference to be working directly from a storage card.

DA

o

Snidely, perhaps that's the case and if so, I was assuming too much. I thought she was starting with digital and just wanted to edit and save them. Maybe the OP will post a follow up post.

For gloriam, Here's a link for top scanner reviews
http://photoscanningsoftwarereviews.com/

and one on scanning with Win 9 HP software. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Scan: Windows 8

o

Could be. Gloria used the word "scan", perhaps not knowing its meaning in this context.

FYI, the URL you've cited is a sham/phony page. It's really an advertisement, intentionally misleading as to its true nature, with a link to ONE product. It's not a review site at all. Also, since XP and perhaps before, Windows has native software to do scans. It's not necessary to use anything else, although there are most certainly programs available that will operate a scanner in the same way as Windows + the device's software does.

o

That's odd, it takes me to HP's consumer support page with links to warranty info, repairs, support forums and their presence on FB, Twitter, etc. I chose it because the OP mentioned he/she has an HP printer and possibly an HP computer.

It may be a moot point, though, since I don't see any followup posts by the OP. :)

o

The link also takes me to the HP support page.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here