Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Be aware of this new malware Windows, Mac and Linux

Posted by ravencajun (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 21:50

New Java malware attacks Apple's OS X along with Windows, Linux

Web-based malware determines your OS, then strikes

Pay attention and be on the alert for this new java based malware which can infiltrate various Operating systems if you allow it. It requires you to click on a pop up which will actually then allow the malware on to your pc and then it checks for which OS you are using and it utilizes the proper flavor for that OS.

If you are alert and do not click things willy nilly you will be ok.
In linux of course we do not run as admin or root so it would take deliberate action on the users part for this thing to gain access.

This is definitely one to watch for even for those of you on Macs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Be aware of this new malware Windows, Mac and Linux

o

Would running our Malwarebytes catch this ? how about MSE antivirus?

Should I start scanning now ...LOL

o

Strangely enough, I checked to see if I had Java installed, found I didn't, but in the process remembered a game requiring Java and promptly installed it. :)

o

"Multi-platform attacks are rare, but they represent a considerable evolution to be considered. Multi-platform malware represents a great evolution for cyber crime because they provide the opportunity for an attacker to infect a greater number of machines.

The mechanism is simple: Using a JAR, the malware is able to identify the OS and then download the right files to infect the targeted machine.

After identifying the type of operating system a unit is running, a Java class file will download the appropriate malware, with the purpose to open a backdoor to allow remote access to the machine.

This isn't the first multi-platform malware detected. In 2010 for example the Boonana malware was detected which also used a malicious Java applet to spread itself.

Malware of this type will increase in number in coming months, and no platform is immune, so it is desirable that internet users are aware of the threat and take appropriate precautions.

A backdoor trojan differs from a trojan in that it also opens a backdoor to your system. They're also sometimes call Remote Access Trojans (RAT). These are the most widespread and also the most dangerous type of trojan. They are so dangerous because the have the potential to allow remote adminstration of your system. As if a hacker were sitting at your keyboard, only worse. There's almost no limit to what they can do. Some common uses:

1 Use your system and Internet connection to send spam (yes, the majority of spam is now generated by infected systems).

2 Steal your online and offline passwords, credit card numbers, address, phone number, and other information stored on your computer that could be used for identity theft, or other financial fraud.

3 Log your activity, read email, view and download contents of documents, pictures, videos and other private data.

4 Use your computer and Internet connection, in conjunction with others to launch Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks.
Modify system files, disable antivirus, delete files, change system settings, to cover tracks, or just to wreak havoc.

Backdoor:W32/GetShell.A is the Windows-specific payload of Trojan-Downloader:Java/GetShell.A, a malicious Java applet that detects your OS and installs an appropriate type of backdoor Trojan. Backdoor:W32/GetShell.A is responsible for the same dangers that are common to most backdoor Trojans, including opening up your PC to unwanted control by third parties, disabling or reducing your computers security features and, potentially, downloading additional PC threats or stealing private information.

Keep your Computer up dated, practice safe surfing habits as always..

Joe

o

Chuggerguy, since the lawsuit, java does not come bundled with windows, however many of the big name vendors do go ahead and install it on their computers. Every computer I have bought did come with java.
The really important thing is to make sure only the latest version of java is on the pc all older versions must be removed to get rid of the security issue that was in that version. We often recommend using the free javara tool for doing this.

Also using the free secunia OSI scanner will tell you what needs updating on the pc and how to get it.

o

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

I usually run Ubuntu and it was not installed by default. Nor had I installed it, or missed it.

I booted into Windows and as with you, it was installed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here