Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cannot restore Or start in safe mode?

Posted by bertman (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 21:17

Windows 7
I went into msconfig and unchecked something in start up. I thought it was an annoying pop up window on booting up. Well now I cant get into safe mode or even restore a previous date? to correct my error
I am stumped I can get into a command prompt but not really sure how to handle it?
Wish Microsoft had an 800 number?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cannot restore Or start in safe mode?

At the command prompt, type rstrui.exe, and then press Enter.

That's a system restore , see if it works that way

Good luck

This post was edited by zep516 on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 22:26

o

Or if you can get into command prompt type in
sfc/scannow then hit Enter
This will scan your Pc and fix any errors it finds

o

Saw somebody had that problem recently. They crashed it a few times to get it to run the automatic repair. Probably pull the power cord.

o

I have tried what was asked, also tried typing in all of above no luck. It cannot seem to fix itself.
I am trying to get a hold of windows 7 to reinstall.
Really cant understand why I am unable to do a system restore. In the meantime any other suggestions would help. Before I do a SYSTEM RECOVERY. thanks
PS in a system recovery do you loose personal data or does it save it?

o

You should have two options, restore and save your files as is or factory restore and lose everything and your PC goes back to factory settings. Have you tried F12 on boot up for restore options? And did you not burn your own set of recovery disks as asked to do when you got your W7 PC? and also a repair disk? this is something you need to do in the first week of setting up a new PC. Then you do not need a W7 CD/DVD, we all know they do not come with a new one any longer.

This post was edited by Aputernut on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 10:52

o

You might want to read about command lines to reset services...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248660

BlackViper website should have names and defaults if you don't remember what you changed. www.blackviper.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here