Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recoverying data from an external HD

Posted by genes (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 20:53

GDaughter has an external 640GB (no major name) HD which she was using for picture storage of her daughter since she was born 3 years ago..I told her to duplicate the pics on DVDs and not to leave all her eggs in one basket, so to speak..anyway..the enevitable happened..she also used the external to save movies..and I believe she saved one too many movies and plugged it and it stopped giving her access..the HD shows up in Win Explorer but doesnt show any data..I looked about for a free data recovery program and thought i found one..Called Easeus Data Recovery..works well..took 13 hours to scan and show the data which is recoverable but, you are only able to recover 1GB for free, if you wish to recover more, its $70 to buy the program...What she basically needs to recover are the pictures which amount to about 32GBs...Anyone know of a good, easy to use recovery program which is free to recover 32GBs of data..I hope this has scared my GD into saving her photos on secondary media too

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recoverying data from an external HD

I haven't used any of them but Gizmo recommends these. I've seen Recuva recommended in this forum.

o

OK Thanks..I googled for free recovery programs before I posted and found another I will try (Pandora Recovery) and as well, I will give the Mini Tool Power recovery a go too..I will let you know how I made out..

o

Gene I wonder if it would be possible to run say Puppy Linux from a CD then boot that to cut and paste some of the external drive content to the computer hard drive?

The download on the link below id only 128 megs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Puppy Linux

o

Well, I think I found something magic...freeware, but the guy doesnt mind donations...called MiniTool Power Data Recovery...fast..worked like a charm..gave the man a donation too..def a keeper

o

excellent that will be a new tool listed in my tools folder, I had not heard of that one.

Using a linux cd usually does work, have done that many times.

o

Glad you got it genes. I've never gone wrong following gizmo's recommendations.

o

Glad you recovered your stuff.

So many people I talk to store their photos on an external hard drive or CDs and don't put any copies on their PC. I think that sort of defeats the purpose of have the ex HD. They need them in at least 2 places.

o

Sorry Owbist..I tried it with Pinguy linux and also with Puppy and was unable to raise the data..it could see the drive but not the data on the drive..I am not real conversant with either of the Linux distros so maybe wasnt doing something right..
Thanks anywho...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here