Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
offline/online Windows Live mail

Posted by sushipup (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 18:52

Have a newer Dell laptop, run Win 7, and get my mail thru Windows Live Mail. But today, it's decided that it is offline. I try to "Work Online" button, but it reverts to offline.

My internet service seems fine, and I've accessed by mail from the ISP's webmail. But I get mail from a couple of services, and I want to sort and file some items. Besides I hate change and liked my Live Mail.

How do I get back online? That used to be my default setting, never had trouble with it.

Signed,

Puzzled

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: offline/online Windows Live mail

I found this when I Googled. I

Here is a link that might be useful: This may help

o

Thank you! That worked. I never ever use IE, only Firefox, wonder how it got messed up!

o

You are welcome, glad to hear it.

o

Google is your friend.

DA

o

Google for searching is a great help, I use it all the time. Not only for the pc for everything.

o

And do not overlook Youtube when needing help with things including electronics and all manner of household gadgets. They have a wealth of short repair videos.

o

I have not tried youtube.....yet.

o

Yes, I am usually one of the first people to cry out "Google it!", I just didn't think in terms of solving such a problem. I am humbled. ;-o

o

Most of my PC problems are software and usually find solutions Googling. It has been so slow in the GW I am going to break the rules and post my favorite wallpaper. Maybe no one will scold me.

o

Anyone who has been here for a while knows my position. I have never swayed from it. Self-help first, and what better way to start than with Google; a few keywords, and some reading. More often than not you have an answer.

Emma,

It's not a matter of scolding. Historically what happened was the threads were at times becoming laden with avatars and off-topic graphics which slowed thread loading down. Since some members are still on a DUN, or a low speed or unreliable connection members took it upon themselves to police threads so that all could read the content. If you greatly miss being scolded let me know. :-)

The attendance here will be this way until after Labor Day. It happens every year. The only burp during that time tends to be during the "off-to-college" computer purchasing time.

DA

o

There have been a couple of other occasions when just wallpaper threads were started. I always found them interested. That is what got me started collecting them.

o

The slowdown could also be because several of our best helpers have left this forum, probably for good.

o

I agree grandms and I miss them especially one of the women. I still write her occasionally.

I see the lack of interest in all the other forums I visit except for the KT. The last time I was there it was hard to keep track of new threads. Maybe some of it is caused by smart phones, Face Book, Twitter, etc.. Maybe some hurt feelings.

o

I miss that same member's input regardless of gender. I don't see the need for the distinction.

It is a shame the tension causing member doesn't have a clue, and continues to alienate members.

DA

o

DA you must be bored today. I mentioned gender because she is the one I remember most. I have written her off and on for years. She is like a friend, a pen pal like in days gone by. I still correspond with her.

o

I'm never bored. Too many employment responsibilities and too many personal things to do.

That's fine. If I posted " one of the men." there are members here, and at other forums I visit, who would surely counsel me on the lack of gender need.

Here, like in so many other places, there are those who waste too much energy as to political correctness and hyper-sensitivity.

DA

o

I feel the same way DA. Here is one my favorite quotes by one of my favorite people.
-------
The one thing I've always maintained is that I'm an American Indian. I'm not politically correct. Everyone who's born in the Western Hemisphere is a Native American. We are all Native Americans.......

Russell Means - Oglala/Lakota Sioux Indian

He played the father in The Last of the Mohicans

o

DA,

If I'm right in knowing which tension causing member (TCM) you're referring to, I think he is motivated to help and not to cause tension.

For some, any difference of opinion causes tension, whether that's intended or not. But paradoxically as your later comment concerning hypersensitivity and PC-ness shows, some differences of opinion can be difficult to wrap in a pillow and so it is. I think TCM tries to be polite.

TCM has observed a lot of well-intentioned advice and recommendations in this forum that seem more akin to folk remedies than well accepted, mainstream advice. TCM seems to speak up in such cases, and in doing so perhaps (undeliberately) rattled a few cages of those who had become folk medicine dispensers and followers without knowing it. I think there are some who think some of the PC folk medicine that has been entrenched here is real medicine and some don't know the difference.

o

If I'm right in knowing which tension causing member (TCM) you're referring to, I think he is motivated to help and not to cause tension.

I have always believed that he comes to help those in need. People who are super sensitive should really avoid internet forums. Many forums have forced members to clean up their act in recent times or be banned but there are likely still a few places where one can expect to get flamed in a hurry.

Gardenweb as a whole is a very genteel place to visit but if a member is deemed to be out of order by another individual then it is so easy for the reader to ignore that person and read other posts.

o

I was here when one of the other forums split and the new place was uncensored. Well, it took me awhile but I found some censorship is a good thing regarding the internet. I am a sensitive person, that is why I gave up all internet sites except this one. People hide behind the fact no one knows them personally and behave in a way they would never do face to face with a person. There is no excuse for rudeness.

o

A member can with little effort share alternative opinion and viewpoints without the perception of being mean-spirited, condescending, demeaning, or rude.

My dearly departed mother, a professional in her own right, use to say, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it".

Enough said.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 9:18

o

I'm sure your mother was a wise person. How things are said certainly matter, but what is said matters too.

My view is that comments should be restricted to the opinions and ideas under discussion. Comments about the people offering the opinions and ideas are off-topic and usually irrelevant.

I've been a recipient of such ad hominem comments in this forum. Unless particularly venomous, I ignore them.

o

The members here have seen it before and unfortunately we will see it again.

I am finished with all this as I have no powers to change lead into gold.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 17:09

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here