Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't access text box in Hotmail

Posted by dlm2000 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 18:44

I searched through other posts here about Hotmail issues but didn't see this one. Sorry if this has been addressed and I missed it.

I seem to be receiving emails just fine (I use Hotmail for things other than personal correspondence) but can't get anything into the email body in new emails or when replying. I can put in a name or address, a subject line but no text in the email body. It appears to allow me to attach a document or insert a photo, but when I attempt to send that as a test, it gives me this pop-up message -
Your attachments are still uploading. Files that are uploading will not be sent.
And then it never finishes uploading.

Haven't contacted Microsoft because I've never had great response from them in the past. Hoping someone here has some ideas first, but will contact them if need be.

Thanks -
Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't access text box in Hotmail

What windows version & Browser make and its Version ? Are you using the online www.hotmail.com ?

Not very long ago, somebody sent notifications to my email account announcing they would not be supporting some of the older browser versions & gave a cut off date.. which could be about now.

You might try temporary disabling your Anti-Virus program to see if its overly protecting you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Microsoft email answer forums

o

Thanks for your questions and suggestions mikie.
I have Windows 7, generally use chrome (Version 36.0.1985.125 m) although sometimes switch to IE for the occasional site that isn't optimized for Chrome. Did try to create an email using IE and it made no difference. Not sure what you're asking about online hotmail - my addy is @hotmail.com but it's accessed through Outlook. I do use Adblock+ and have tried turning that off with no change. Also have been using Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes anti malware (the free version) for quite a while and I'm ashamed to say I don't know how to temporarily disable either one. I know how to remove the programs but can't find a way to temporarily disable - I'm having a duh moment - what am I missing?

o

Malwarebytes if it has an icon in the system tray or hidden tray.. right click and exit. Iff not there maybe look in taskmanager on the processes tab for it... right click it there and end process.

Microsoft Security Essentials if you open the main window and click on the Settings tab.. there should be something that's says Real Time Protection and a check box to enable.

When you access your email account you access it by going to www.hotmail.com or www.live.com , or even outlook.com Which would then redirect to login.live.com and redirect again to server#.mail.live.com and actually shows in the webpage header as Outlook.com Confusing, to most when their email addy isn't @Outlook.com

o

Thanks for the tips - I'm crying uncle. Have tried everything I can in varying combinations of things turned on/off and no changes. FWIW, web address when I'm in my hotmail account reads bay178.mail.live.com....... This is the most confounding thing and a pain when I need to reply to an email. Fortunately, I reply to very little through hotmail, but still, it should work.

o

Try this: Access account so the address appears. Change 178 to 179 and hit enter. If nothing try 177. If nothing try any three digit number you would like under the original.

I had a temporary problem with Hotmail some years ago. I found I could access by changing the bay numeric. About a week later everything was ok, except they had permanently changed the bay number. My guess is it was their way to diverse log-ons and activity by transferring me and others so as not to overload the system in any area.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 17:28

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here