Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a possible malware attack on July 9?

Posted by lynnalexandra (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 18:20

On my neighborhood listserv, a couple of people (trustworthy but not necessarily knowledgeable), wrote that there was a serious malware attack that may hit some computers on Monday. Is there any truth to this? if so, what should we do to take precautions? One somewhat more tech-knowledgable neighbor suggested downloading ubuntu and burning a cd so that if our computers crashed, we could use the live cd to get it operating? is that necessary?

Here's the gist of what one neighbor wrote:

"There is a warning about a malware attack on computers that is scheduled to take place on Monday, July 9.

The reports are directing people to an FBI site http://www.dcwg.org

The site is suppose to help guide users through a check to see if they have a virus in computers that will be activated on Monday.

I thought it might be a scam but I found several reports from various news sources.

Still not sure it is a real warning and have not accessed the FBI website .

Any computer experts with suggestions?"
-----------------------------------

I looked at recent posts here and didn't find anything so I thought I should ask.

Thank you.
Lynn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a possible malware attack on July 9?

It's called DNS Changer Malware,

http://www.dcwg.org/ <------This page describes how you can determine if you are infected, and how you can clean infected machines.

http://www.dcwg.org/detect/

You can perform tests from above link to make sure everthing is ok.

If you are not affected by DNS Changer then do nothing.

o

This stems from a while ago as I remember it well the last time as friends were emailing me in a panic and friends are emailing agian in a panic the world is gonna end, he he. The servers the FBI used to combat the crooks were only temporary last time our news said so this why it's happening again. I checked my home computer just to make sure but we are fine here and we were fine the last time. Mary

o

Just read the article linked or one of the other thousands you can find on Google about the Dns changer shut down.
It is not a virus that will be released at all, the only ones who will have a problem are those that already have the infection and have done nothing to get rid of it. There have been sites set up for months now for people to go to and check to see if their pc and router are clean or not, this can also affect the routers. Visit one of the check sites to make sure you are clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dns changer shut down

o

Just go to this link if it comes up Green your PC is clean if red it's infected

Here is a link that might be useful: check-up

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here