Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My old MS Windows XP.

Posted by mudlady (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 18:01

Today I received a lot of prompts to reactivate my Windows XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. At first I was afraid it might be a hoax but then I recalled that MS said there would come a time when they would no longer suppport XP. I didn't relaize it was 10 years old. I have Vista on my laptop and never learned to like it. Then I heard criticisms about Windows 7 and chose XP to be the OS on my netbook. There was an offer to let me upgrade to 7 and I really don't know what to do. I guess if I turn on my netbook I will receive the same warning. As usual--any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Nancy

PS--Guess I should tell you I don't play games or do any social network stuff so getting all the newest for these uses doesn't matter to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My old MS Windows XP.

I don't know what "reactivate" means, but it sounds fishy to me. I'm typing this on a 2007 Dell with WinXP SP3 and I've never been asked to reactivate anything. Proceed with caution!! My understanding is that XP SP3 will continue to be updated until April 2014.

o

Yes be very wary of those 'reactivate notices, never heard of Microsoft sending any of those out - or have you wiped the drive and re-installed Windows. Even then you would be offered the chance to activate as you completed the install process.

I think I would be running scans to be sure I was clean. Better safe than sorry.

Perhaps whoever criticised Windows 7 is a Microsoft basher, it is a very stable program as far as I am concerned.

o

I agree does sound like a rogue popup I would be running an updated malwarebytes scan immediately and an additional online virus scan like eset.
Xpsp3 is fully supported till 2014.

o

I'm not an expert so offer this only as a possibility.

If this ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295 ) is the problem you are experiencing, they (Microsoft) seem to offer a "Guided Help" script to fix it.

I'd read it over carefully to make sure it really matches your problem though.

As a side-note, I'm not much of a Windows person, but have run it. I wasn't particularly bent on trying Windows 7 but decided to give it a try when I got a new computer with it installed. I was pleasantly surprised. If your machine has the specs to run it, you'd probably like it.

o

Hi mudlady,

if I turn on my netbook I will receive the same warning.

Yes! That sounds like corruption of anyone of the files below:

wpa.dbl, regwizc.dll, licdll.dll

You could try chuggerguy's link, but they can be somewhat confusing to carry out. I think your best option is to call Microsoft directly explain the problem and they can be very helpful for you... Some instructions below and a link for you.

To start the Product Activation Wizard:

Click Start
Click All Programs,Accessories.
Click System Tools.
Click Activate Windows.

In the Product Activation Wizard, follow these steps:

Click Use the automated phone system to activate.
Click the drop-down menu, select the nearest location to you, and then click Next.
The Microsoft Product Activation Center phone number is displayed at the top of the window.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Product Activation

o

I like W 7 it is as good or better than XP and I loved XP. I think there were more changes in 7 than other systems I have used. When I first got 7 I Googled a lot.

o

I still use my XP desktop because I prefer OE as my mail client. However, I have Win 7 on a laptop and have learned to like it quite well. I believe if you will persist in using it, you will come to like it quite well. It is probably Microsoft's best OS.

I'd be very wary of that message you received re: XP.

o

I shelved my Dell with XP a couple of weeks ago. I reasoned that it was seriously obsolescent if not in fact obsolete.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here