Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carbonite or other cloud backup

Posted by MRH1 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 17:32

I'm about to decide on a cloud backup. Would like one that includes all my files plus programs in case I don't have the original program disk for programs and program updates. Carbonite was recommended by a friend who works for a computer service. Wondered what you thought of the various cloud systems and Carbonite in particular. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carbonite or other cloud backup

I'm not a fan of online backups, I don't consider it fail-safe. If you have a small amount to back up, buy a couple of thumb drives or SD cards. If you have more, buy a couple of external drives. Make two copies, take one offsite. This hardware is cheap these days.

Also, if you have tens or hundreds of GBs to backup, it can take a long time AND could use up your monthly internet usage quota.

You normally can't back up program files, per se. If you're setting up a new PC or hard drive, programs need to be "installed", not just copied over. Doing so requires either the disks (getting to be rare these days) or a shepherding program that manages a download and installation. If you have purchased programs, a "key code" should be all you would need. Your disaster preparation should be just a list of programs and how to reinstall them. This too should be kept offsite. (One way to do that is to list them in a text file and attach to an email you send to yourself)

o
RE: Carbonite or other cloud backup

Newer versions of windows have OneDrive working pretty darn well. Maybe compare OneDrive to carbonite with a little reading.

Most people want a 2nd back up too . .I don't really worry about that much .. odds of my pc and online storage dying at same time are great. And, I always have a current system image on a separate drive 20 or 30 gb takes a long time to download when you suddenly have no internet access and that is when you suddenly have a need for something .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here