Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows Vista IE 9 - Default Web Page Question

Posted by luis_pr (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 16:35

While upgrading software on my Mother's lightly used laptop, I noticed that the default webpage is set to www.usatoday.com but what pops up on IE9 is www.usatoday.com/news/911

I confirmed that her default setting is for just www.usatoday.com so how come this other page is popping up?

There is also an information bar of some type that sometimes appears at the bottom of the IE window, talking about blocked popups, speeding up addons, etc. I am a XP/IE8 User so I have no idea if this is normal on IE9 but I have not noticed those windows before and they are a pain in the behind, which makes me think that Microsoft did put them in IE9. But just in case, I am also asking if anyone else can confirm that they are part of IE9 or the Vista/IE9 Combo.

TIA,
Luis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows Vista IE 9 - Default Web Page Question

I would try: Clear the IE cache>Manually type in and enter the site desired>Set the current page as the homepage.

I normally use FF with my Vista. However, when I do tinker with IE9 it will report as to blocked sites, expired certificates, and such. It's no big deal as far as I am concerned. What's one click?

DA

o

I think we can no longer clear the cache as I did not find it were I once used to see it in XP (does not mean it is really no there though).

I have changed the default to another webpage and it worked but when I reset it back to usatoday, it displayed usatoday.com/news/911 again even though I typed usatoday.com only

o

Try bringing up the usatoday page, then click in the address bar to get the cursor just behind the 911 and tap the backspace button 3 times. Hit Enter and the news page will appear, set it as your home page now and hopefully you will be good to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here