SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Time for a lazer jet printer?

jerry_nj
10 years ago

I have been using ink jet printers for at least 25 years, both for business and pleasure. During the last 20 years these have been color multifunction printers... I do not print photos and I often set the printing to be B&W as the document has some red or other highlights that don't come through well.

I have also used after market ink cartridges and have used the hypodermic needle to refill cartridges at home. All this to save on the high cost of OEM ink. My experience with the after market and DIY inking has been mixed.

Given the above I have had in the back of my mind buying a B&W multifunction lazar printer. Today I found a great price on a Brothers MFC 7640DN and see the cartridges appear to be good for over 1,000 pages (print I assume) OEM at $30 and After Market (Rebuilt?) at $15.

The Brothers lazar appears to me capable of reducing print cost by more than 50% using OEM cartridges. They offer a high capacity of about 3,000 (going from memory) for about $45, still not a lot more than one OEM ink cartridge.

My memory of using business quality lazar printers is they always provided very crisp and fast prints.

Looking for comment and experience. The sale is on at my local "Club" for a few more days.

Comments (18)