SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marie_ndcal

lastpass.com or passpack.com --anyone use these

marie_ndcal
9 years ago

Since my passwords are different on many sites, has anyone ever used either program to store the passwords?
Thanks

Comments (9)

• azinoh
    9 years ago

I store my passwords in an Excel file with a nondescript name...something like polpoikl.xls I abbreviate my usernames because I know what they are and anyone who hacks my file won't. Works for me. YMMV.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    9 years ago

You can google "Password Programs" or something similar and find evaluations of the software available. Here are two:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407168,00.asp

http://password-management-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

I haven't committed to a particular program yet. - June

• PRO
    Flex Design LLC
    9 years ago

I am considering last pass. A computer guy I know is currently using it and seems to be very happy with it. HE demonstrated it to a few friends and we were all impressed.

• PRO
    Flex Design LLC
    9 years ago

I am considering last pass. A computer guy I know is currently using it and seems to be very happy with it. HE demonstrated it to a few friends and we were all impressed.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    9 years ago

Within the past week, I added LastPass to my security arsenal and like it.

For starters, the user can control which sites are enrolled in LastPass and whether an original password is to be changed. If change is desired, the user can also control the length and type of characters that can be contained in a new password. You can also reject a password the computer suggests and request another. The new passwords are a real mishmash of upper case/lower case letters, symbols, and numbers - but you don't have to remember them as your computer inputs them for you.

I added only sites to LastPass that affect my finances. I didn't feel the need to protect the password here and on other "fun" sites. I don't usually even log off of these sites.

You do have to remember your password to LastPass, however, as LastPass says they don't even know it. And, it should be a strong one. If you chose, you can remain logged into Last Pass so you can quickly enter the sites you have put in that program. I would do this at home but never on a portable device that I could lose elsewhere.

The program did open my eyes to the simplistic (and now inadequate) nature of security at one of my financial sites. LastPass wouldn't work there. It turned out that the problem was the site limits a password to 8 digits, is indifferent to upper or lower case, accepts no symbols, and requires a number in the middle of the string.

I've talked to my rep at that business and was assured change was in the making because many clients are calling with concerns.

Just sharing my experience, so far, for those who are considering a password manager.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

I can see where a password manager provides convenience. As to providing security against real risks, I'm not sure that's so clear to me.

• PRO
    kbarb - San Francisco - Z10a
    9 years ago

I've been using Lastpass for years.
    It's worked very well.
    All my passwords now are 16+ characters of gibberish.
    You do need to use a very strong master password though.
    If you have a fingerprint reader, you can just use that for login to Lastpass - much easier actually.

I paid the whopping $12/yr for a premium subscription so I can have two factor authentication, which means if I'm on any other computer besides my home (physically secure) computer, I have to pull out my flash drive which provides a code for a 2nd factor of authentication besides my master password. So knowing my master password isn't going to help some hacker type unless they have my flash drive as well.

Imho, your best choices are Lastpass or 1Password.
    Since Lastpass has worked well, I haven't tried 1Password, which is similar actually.

See these links :

Five Best Password Managers - Lifehacker
    http://lifehacker.com/5529133/five-best-password-managers

How to Build a (Nearly) Hack-Proof Password System with LastPass and a Thumb Drive
    http://lifehacker.com/5879117/how-to-build-a-nearly-hack-proof-password-system-with-lastpass-and-a-thumb-drive

Here is a link that might be useful: Five Best Password Managers

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

I've been using eWallet from iliumsoft for years, first on a Palm Pilot, then on an iPod Touch and iPhone, as well as the PC and Mac desktop tools. Though it has some browser integration, I prefer dealing with manual cut and paste - few opportunities for things to go wrong.

Long passwords are more important than special characters. Using different passwords for each account is also important.

• bugsybanks
    9 years ago

I've used RoboForm for many years on several different computers and I've been really happy with it. Very reliable, easy to use, makes transferring passwords from one computer to another really easy...and the customer service is EXCELLENT, with a real person on the other end of the phone if you have any questions.