Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
18 month old Acer laptop won't start, new power supply

Posted by fishymom (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 15:49

Hello, first time visitor to this forum. I have an Acer Aspire V3-551-8469 Laptop that is18 months old. Earlier this week it began beeping when the charger was plugged in and would not charge. I ordered a new charger and when I plug it in, the power light and the battery light blink 5 times but the laptop will not start. I did a reset, removing the battery and power supply and holding the power button for 60 seconds, but it still will not start. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 18 month old Acer laptop won't start, new power supply

Does it start when on elec.? my 2 laptops stay on elec. power once in awhile on battery if moved. and no probs.
Had an Acer laptop yrs. ago, battery only last maybe 15 mins. contacted Acer they sent a new one ASAP, but like I said use power cord.

o

What happens with a different battery?

There are multiple components here:

1 - The charger
2 - The charging control circuit in the computer
3 - The battery
4 - (maybe) the power supply circuit feeding the computer from the battery.

o

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 9:28

Popular is the jack is bad, or jack has loose wire where the a/c adapter plugs in. Bad or broken solder joint from jack to motherboard..
5 blinks is popular with Acer to indicate something wrong with power supply.

Does it blink 5 times with no battery in it, while on the a/c adapter ?

This post was edited by mikie on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 9:31

o

Thanks for the replies, appreciate the help! It does not start with battery in place and plugged into a working electrical outlet. The new a/c adaptor is the correct one for that model and is in working order. I don't have a different battery to try in it. When I took the battery out and plugged it into the new a/c adaptor, the power button blinked once but did not turn on. The battery was working fine, charging properly and staying charged as normal prior to the intermittent beeping when the a/c adaptor was plugged in. I think it may be something to do with the jack since my husband says there is nothing wrong with the old power supply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here