Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help please computer is slow as dial up

Posted by papillon1 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 15:01

Can anyone help? My computer has slowed to point of dial up speed. I've done everything I can think of disk clean up, run Malware program, CC cleaner restarted modem- nothing found and nothing helped. This morning I got a D3D9 window message. I rebooted & it went away. I am using Firefox and have XP using Verizon. I don't know what's wrong. Any suggestions please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help please computer is slow as dial up

Is it the computer itself that is slow, or is it when you are surfing the Internet? Need to know this first to determine if it is a problem with your computer or with your Internet service. When you say you are using Verizon, is this their FIOS service, DSL, or cellular (3G/4G)? Is the computer slow in booting up and shutting down? Please give a few more details and examples of the slowness.

o

Try going to speedtest. net and running the test to see what the connection speed is.

o

You can also install winpatrol free and see what is happening on start up, you may have too much running.
Tell us how much RAM you have and free space, how old is it etc.
You might want to go to administrative tools, event viewer check the various categories and look for red flags double click on it to find out more information and codes to look up. It should tell you about the error message.

o

OK sorry I did not give enough info. I have an old Dell desktop (2001?) 2.4gh Intel Pent 4. I have 56.63 GB free on hard drive (1278MB useable installed) I have Verizon DSL. It is not really slow to boot up but when I am surfing. Checking mail, connecting to a site, facebook etc.

o

Click on Start - Control Panel - Programs and Features; In your list of installed programs, look to see if you have installed any toolbars ( Yahoo toolbar, MSN toolbar, Google toolbar, etc.) If you have any toolbars installed, uninstall them. Toolbars are notorious for slowing down a computer system. Unless you are purposely using the toolbar of a particular installed program, the toolbar is of no use for you, except to slow down your system.

o

Okay thanks can you please tell us how much RAM memory is on it. And try the speed test site and post results.
A good free program to find all the information for your pc is Belarc advisor, run it and see what turns up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Belarc

o

I'd look in TaskManager at processes for all users.
Click the menu a time or two for CPU & also Memory.
Gives you an idea if somethings using up lots of CPU or Memory constantly.

o

Thanks everyone for your input. I think there must have been a problem with my server because last night the computer was back to normal?? I did not find any tool bars listed but I'm sure the one I have must be included in Firefox.

o

I think there must have been a problem with my server because last night the computer was back to normal??
Great! Often my ISP is the culprit when my computer slows to a crawl. I don't hesitate to give them a call to see if they are experiencing problems.

Sue

o

I used to have DSL and it would get slow occasionally. Re-booting the router would usually fix it. When that failed, I would call my ISP. It was always useful to run Speedtest as I was doing these things to monitor my progress.

o

Since you are using FF already there is an add-on "Broadband Speed Test and Diagnostic" available. It places an entry on the Tool tab for it to be conveniently on-demand.

I have matched the report against other resources and it appeared in-common with them.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Mozilla.org

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here