Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Security Question

Posted by cricketm (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 14:39

I have Microsoft Security Essentials on my two Desk Tops and my laptop......which I keep uptodate and scan regularly. I also have CCleaner and ATF-Cleaner on all three computers and use them regularly. The Desktops have XP and my laptop has Vista....(all updated).....I Clean, scan and frag all three regularly....I have had no problems so far (my fingers are crossed)...my question is: Do I need spyware or malware too? Or am I okay?

Thanks in anticipation of a reply.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Security Question

If you are not experiencing any problems, I'd guess that you are probably ok right now. However, having other anit-malware tools available can't hurt. Superantispyware and Malwarebytes have both helped me and having them available before getting infected is a good idea. They are both free and a monthly scan with both offers an extra layer of protection. No one program is going to catch everything.

o

MSE does have malware protection and removal, but I would also second having another anti-malware program such as the two mentioned. In addition, I have Spywareblaster which just sits and offers protection as long as you update it regularly. No scanning necessary since it does not remove but prevents.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spywareblaster

o

I read this thread earlier, but GW was having some problems so I can only get logged in now.

I wish to point out that SAS and MAM should be configured as on-demand applications not real-time. And as Grandms reports even though you might not use them they should be updated regularly for two reasons; instant threat response, and the ability to activate at full capacity even if a bug shuts down your Internet connection.

As far as how often to run them that would be personal preference. My protocol is to run them every 10-14 days.

DA

o

Agree I recommend use of either or both Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, update prior to doing a full scan, scan weekly to monthly.
I also recommend spwareblaster for all windows machines.

all are free, just be sure you follow through on the install for the free versions.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Win) - Detecting and Removing Malware

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

SpywareBlaster

there you go the download links so you are sure to get the right one, so many fakes out there that sound alike.

o

I switched to Ad-Aware Free Internet Security 9.0 after reading the article in PC Magazine that compared several of the free antivirus programs available today. Prior to reading the article, I used Microsoft Security Essentials. I still keep MalwareBytes Anti-Malware on my machine as suggested by the article. Read the article for yourself and decide.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp

o

Actually, I may need to re-consider my decision to switch AV programs. I went back and read the comments from readers (which I did not do after reading the article the first time), and they seem to be more favorable toward MSE and others, and less favorable toward the Ad-Aware program which was rated the highest in the article. I wonder if the company that owns Ad-Aware advertises in that magazine?

Well, cricketm, it sounds to me like you may better off staying with MSE. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", right?

Sorry, hope I didn't cause too much confusion.

o

Thank you all for your valuable information. I will download the following as per Ravencajun suggestions and keep my Microsoft Security Essentials:

Free versions

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Win) - Detecting and Removing Malware

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

SpywareBlaster

Thanks again...I appreciate your help. Cricket/Marie

o

I downloaded MAM....updated and scanned...no infected files!

o

If you did a default "Quick Scan" that will be OK as my previous readings reported it scans 80% focused on areas commonly targeted by malware. However if your luck runs like mine, next time be sure to select "Full Scan" for 100% detection to avoid missing something.

DA

o

damcoy..I did a Full Scan for 100% detection...Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here