Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When Logging off - computer freezes

Posted by goldedger (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 2, 09 at 14:38

I'm hoping someone here can offer some help with this issue.

I removed Rogers Yahoo/Norton online protection from my desktop and laptop. Both running Windows XP SP2.

Installed Zone Alarm, Avast Anti-Virus and MalwareBytes.
Also have Secunia PSI.

Now, when I try to log off, the 'puters go to the blue screen with "Saving your settings..." and freezes there. Not all the time but quite often. Any suggestions?

June

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When Logging off - computer freezes

As you have Rogers cable you are on high speed so if it were me I would go for SP3 and see if that cures the issue. There is nothing wrong with SP3, I have it on all my computers with no ill effects. Try one computer first untill you are happy with the result.

Alternately you could look in the Event viewer to see if anything is logged.
Click Start
click Control panel
click Administrative tools
click Event viewer

Now click on System so it shows on the left side and scroll down the info on the right side of that window looking for red error messages ot yellow warnings. Double click on any you find for a better explanation of the issue

o

Might also want to search and run the current 'norton removal tool' It will clean up lots of left overs.

CCleaner for a clean up may be a good idea following that.

o

you definitely will need to go through the Norton removal tool instructions and use it plus remove all instances of Norton/symantec you find in your search of the pc and in programs.

Here is a link you will need to use the proper tool for your version of Norton. If you do not fully uninstall Norton it causes those types of problems.

Antivirus Product Removal Tools

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

How to Remove Norton Antivirus and Security Products

o

I did check the event viewer, didn't find anything that ties into this issue.
Before I installed Avast, Zone Alarm and Malwarebytes, I ran the Norton Removal Tool and Revo Uninstaller to remove Roger's online protection. I also ran CCleaner. I just ran Norton's removal tool again (on my laptop), just to be sure. Removed 2 files from the Program Files area 1)Rogers (shs setup files) 2) under Program>Common>Symantec Shared Folder. Didn't see any other Norton/Symantec files.

Not sure I want to risk installing SP3 right now while I'm currently having problems, unless you guys really think it would solve this problem????

I'll run CCleaner again, reboot and see what happens. Going to repeat these steps on my desktop tomorrow and see what happens.

Please let me know if there is anything else I should check.

Thanks so much. June

o

Does the 'Blue Screen' have any Stop number or Error messages ?

Knowing exactly what those are if it shows for a matching web search may turn up a fix.

o

While this may be of no help in your case, after removing programs via the Add/Remove process or other, I always perform a Start - Search for any of the file names connected with the program. I usually find remnants. While they are probably of no significance, it is a good cleanup procedure.

o

I personally would not advise installing sp3 in this current unstable condition. It needs to be done in a very controlled install environment which you are not currently in.

Find your problem and get it corrected first before adding a possible new one into the mix.

getting any codes or info from the screen and googling them is often informative as to what is happening.

try going to msconfig and your startup list and making sure there is absolutely nothing listed there connected to norton or symantec if so remove it, check services also and if you see anything there associated disable it.

I would also use this hive tool, it will often stop that type of behavior
User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

o

My spouse's user on the computer I am using now freezes with the blue screen at 'saving you settings' unless she closes all windows first. The only difference between her user and my user - that I know about - is she always uses IE and I use FF.

o

So as both computers have the same issue perhaps we should be looking outside of those. It seems doubtful the exact same problem could appear on both machines at the same time. Try removing the router and just connect one computer at a time to the Rogers modem to see if that could be the issue. Try disconnecting the modem from the power supply for 30 seconds and try also. What make and model is the router?

o

albert have you tried using the user profile hive cleanup tool which is to correct these type of shut down issues? If not give it a try, it has worked well for many including myself.

o

I've installed the UP Hive Cleanup on my laptop (working on one computer at a time). Checked Startup and Services for any Norton/Symantec listings - didn't find any.
The blue screen is the normal one I get on logging off - usually it just says logging off and then goes to the next screen where I can "Turn off the computer". When it freezes - it goes from saying "logging off" to "saving your settings....." and stays there - no error messages or numbers - just won't move from that.
I use a Linksys wireless router WRT54G, it seems to be working fine.
I'm wondering if the Avast VRDB could be disabling log off services??? Do I want it running?
Sorry for the long post.
I'll try rebooting several times over the next few days to see if the UP Hive Cleanup has solved the issue.
Thanks for all your help.

June

o

Back when I had that same issue when I got the hive tool it started working properly again then after a while it started doing the same thing stopping at the saving your settings screen, which means it is not continuing to power down. I had McAfee on my pc at that time, I removed McAfee and the problem went away and never returned, I put Avast on that pc and no problems.

I was seeing a flag in event viewer at first saying that something was not running as a service, when I did the hive clean up it fixed that problem.
But the power down problem was definitely the McAfee.

I have not heard of Avast causing that problem but you could try doing an uninstall and reinstall of it or go to their forums and ask about it.

o

Hi again
When I checked the event viewer on my desktop, I found this warning under the applications folder - Event ID 1517.
The following is copied from the Windows Help and Support Center.
Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1517
Source: Userenv
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_HIVE_SAVED
Message: Windows saved user %1 registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Explanation
Windows unloads each user's profile and user's section of the registry when the user logs off. This message indicates that Windows could not unload the user's profile because a program was referencing the user's section of the registry. This locked the profile. The registry cannot unload profiles that are locked and in use. When the program that is locking the profile is no longer referencing the registry, the profile will be unloaded.

User Action
No user action is required.
I guess this means I just leave the computer when this happens and it will clear itself at some point???? or What does it mean to try "configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account"??

Still wondering if this has something to do with Avast's "Virus Recovery Database Generator" - maybe it's busy trying to copy programs as we're trying to log off - guess I'll check the Avast forums and see if the issue has shown up there.

Thanks for all the help.

June

o

that is exactly why you need to install that hive tool I listed it will stop that from happening.

o
ReeE: When Logging off - computer freezes

oh sorry mis read that and see you did install the hive tool, that is why you see the event message saying the hive has saved the registry when it was still in use. It should free it up and let it shut down if it is working right.

o

one other thing I would try is a full power down, that means disconnect from the power ever single thing that is connected to the pc, disconnect all from the wall power and any power strips, do not just turn off actually unplug all from the power, including routers, modems, printers etc anything that connects to the pc that has a power cord. On the back of the pc, once you have turned it off, flip the toggle switch off also. Let it all set powered off for at least 10 mins or more, then plug every thing back in starting with your modems and routers and externals then to the pc and last thing to do is flip that toggle switch back to on and power up the pc. Sometimes a full power off will fix things we just never know.

o

Computers are still hanging on logoff
Did a search for any/all files with Symantec or Norton in the file name and deleted them.
UP Hive Cleaner is running but not helping.
Searched the Avast forum, similar problems found there but NO solutions.
As Ravencajun suggested I did do a complete power down - unplugged everything, waited an hour and plugged everything back in.
Issue still exists.
Guess I'm stuck with it unless I uninstall and go with my ISP "Rogers Online Protection"

Thanks for all your efforts. June

o

You might try a right click on Start, click Explore.
Now look down the left side and click the plus sign beside Local disk (C:)

Click the plus sign beside Program files now look for any folder referring to Norton or any other security folder from Rogers.

If you see a Norton folder click on it to highlight and then look on the right side and try deleting any content there. If you get a warning and cannot delete any files then it is safe to assume you still have one or more active entries for Norton in the registry.

I don't see any of your replacement programs as your problem

o

Thanks owbist, I did as you suggested, there's no sign of any Norton, Rogers or Symantec files or folders.
The thing is my computers never had this problem prior to installing Avast, Zone Alarm and Malwarebytes.

Thanks anyways. June

o

Hmm, troublesome computers indeed. Just out of curiosity have you updated and ran Malwarebytes lately? Malwarebytes should not be an issue here as it does not run till the user starts the program.

Try removing the internet cable then stopping Avast and Zonealarm and shut down to see if it is improved.

You could try replacing Avast and Zonealarm. Comodo do a free firewall and anti virus, I have both on one of my computers and it seems very good.

Two more firewalls.
Agnitum's Outpost has been around for years, never tried myself so far.
Ashampoo do not lose your password if you select this one. I did and cannot stop the Spam from over 2 years ago.

On anti virus there are AVG or Avrira, I am using both on different machines.

If you go for a different program in each case be careful to stay on the free program and be sure to see what is ticked as you install to avoid unwanted toolbars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here