SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beanwabr

need help with dvd player on laptop

beanwabr
12 years ago

Whenever I'd watch a movie my player began skipping/hanging (like repeating things at first 3 times then got so bad that it'd be 5 or 6), and the video would get real slow, stop then speed up to catch up. I was told by one repair place that I needed to replace the dvd drive ($100). I found out the place where my FIL goes would be half of that so I took it, he swapped it out and tested by playing a dvd for 2-3 minutes and it was fine. So last night was the first time we tried playing something and it's back to the repeating and skipping! When I called the guy he said that I probably have a virus causing this and it's $40 for him to scan it. Is a virus something that I can remove myself? I have Time Warner CA security (which I've been told is not really that good) but wouldn't it catch something like that? He also said that I have a lot of programs running in the background (in the lower right corner next to the time) that could be slowing it down because they're ready and waiting for me to access them--is that possibly a cause and if so how do I get them out? I don't know anything about this - can anyone here please help? Thanks.

Comments (5)