Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
List Of All Files Etc?

Posted by candler (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 13:00

Howdy. Win7. Last year I went from XP to Win7. For one reason or the other I use to look at all of my files, sub files, sub-sub-sub files, etc . Now I can't seem to find it how to get to that very lengthy list. Can anyone tell me how to get back to the list that shows everything on my system? Thanks, Gene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: List Of All Files Etc?

type into the run line, or the browser address bar;
C:

Or Double click the computer icon on your desktop.

You might want to visit Control Panel / Folder Options / View tab, if you want to see hidden and system files.

o

Thanks Mikie. I have Dell560 Desktop/IE10/ Win7. I can't find what you suggested. Sorry I'm so computer dumb. The only "Computer" is on the left above the "Start" icon on my desktop. Clicking it will tell me how much space is used on "C" and that I have a "D" drive installed. I'm unsure where the run line might be. The only browser address bar I know of is either on the Internet or my email site. I don't have a Folder Options in my Control Panel icons and, therefore, no View Tab. Back on XP Windows Explorer would give me everything. Now it's just icons saying Libraries, Documents, Etc. Thanks, Gene

o

Back again, and thanks. I double clicked on Computer and then clicked on the bar showing how much space I had on C. Wow! A panel came up showing what was on my computer with the ability to continue a step down process and moved to more detailed files.

I'm still looking for a page I copied off the Net using Faststone Capture (that started my questions). I didn't give it a file name but gave it a title. Anyway, now I can start digging a little deeper.

By the way, I use to search IE by using a date if all else failed. Now it seems unless one has a file name, or part of it, they're out of luck. Any thoughts. Thanks again. Gene

o

You can also get to Windows Explorer by right clicking the start button then click Explore.

To sort by date is easy. Look at this site and you'll see the first image. If yours looks like that simply click on the 'Date modified' header, click again if you prefer reverse order.

If you view shows icons instead click the small icon to the right of 'New folder' and in the drop down menu click to show details - or which ever you prefer, play a little to see the options there.

You might glance down through the page linked above, there are some nice tips there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here