Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where did my F drive go?

Posted by surya55 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 12:16

Hi- please I hope someone can help me. I just inserted a card reader and it won't scan so I checked to make sure my F drive's there and it's not. I haven't done anything to my computer, so I'm at a loss. I have a lot of pics I want to download to my laptop. Please help me.

TIA,
Nerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where did my F drive go?

For starters, you need to clarify. Is your F: a partition of your existing hard drive which is always displayed when you use Windows Explorer, or is it the drive letter that shows up when you plug-in the card reader?

o

K9,

I am certain it is the reader.

Nerry,

My first guess is you used the Windows "safe to remove utility" on the drive. I am correct a reboot most likely will restore your awol drive.

DA

o

Nerry you do not say which version of Windows?

Anything Win 7 and prior right click on the Start button then click 'Explore' or 'Windows explore'. You should then see your drives listed on the left side of the screen, click on any to highlight and view the contents on the right side.

Windows 8 you should have a folder on the taskbar near where the start button is on older versions.

o

Remove the card, then reinsert it. Several times if needed.

o

She reported the drive selection indictor was missing. A reboot restores it.

I've had it happen to me with my USB connected printer when I have selected the wrong drive when using the "safe to remove utility" for my thumb drive. If I was a betting man.....

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 12:04

o

It would be nice to hear something back from the OP...

o

Great news guys! Don't what what happened but I reinserted the card reader and it suddenly worked! Wow! I am humbled indeed to be getting all of this great advice. I will remember it for future ref. Thank you all so much:-)

Nerry

o

Glad your ok now.

Just wondering, did you shut down your system during the time between your two posts? Perhaps the end of the day on the 24th?

DA

o

DA,

Actually, I was sort of impatient and kept checking quite often during that same day and it worked the very same day. Sorry for the late response.

Nerry

o

That's fine as at least you are kind enough to come back to post. You'd be surprised how many members ask for assistance, and when receiving same never come back to report. Both success and failure are learning tools for us all.

Again out of curiosity, did you at any time reboot, or shut down and subsequently start up between your original post and the restoration of the drive indicator?

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here