SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Trying to startup a computer after 2 years

jane__ny
10 years ago

This was our office computer. We closed the office 2 years ago and the computer has been in storage since then.

Started it up, updated Avast, ZA but there were 160 MS updates. There were so many updates for everything, FF, IE, various add-ons, Java, Flash...you name it.

Everything tries to update at the same time. Computer kept crashing.

Spent all night trying to do things in small stages and got most things updated, except MS updates.

Tried to update them in small increments but it wouldn't work. Kept crashing explorer. Apparently it is trying to install a tool to download the updates, but that is what crashes. I get DEP security warning that there is something running (referenced memory?) that prevents the downloads.

Long and short, tried investigating on MS website and community and got nowhere. Almost paid $100.00 for a MS tech to solve the update problems. Then I realized it was a scam and got rid of him. He wanted to do virus scans. I know the problem is being caused by something like an add-on but I can't figure out what to shut off. Strangly, when I shut it down last night I got the message that updates were being installed and to not shut the computer off. Appears it installed 10 updates (took over an hour).

I can't see what's installed because each time I go on the MS site to see what's installed, it crashes.

BTW, I do get the pop-up MS shield but when I tell it to download, it goes away. Nothing happens.

XP SP3. MS is not supporting XP anymore and wants to charge $100 to do anything. I was going to do it except it was a virus scan and I know that isn't the problem. All my security software is up to date and running.

Any thoughts about how to get these updates installed?

Jane

Comments (25)