Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avast Software Updater

Posted by mxyplx (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 12:13

Can it be trusted? I didn't see any problems on Google. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avast Software Updater

Where are you seeing it? On the dashboard of your Avast program? Do you have Avast set to automatically update?

If you double click on your Avast icon, go to: Settings>Update.
What does it tell you?

o

Bear in mind that my experience is only with free Avast, NOT paid Avast.

The Software Updater is useful ONLY to notify you which of your programs need to be updated. I WOULD NOT use SU to update your programs because Avast uses something called OPEN CANDY and as a result you might see offers to purchase other software based on your usage patterns and what is already installed on your system. Some folks regard it as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program). I doubt that it is harmful but it is a potential nuisance. Avast uses it as a chance to make some $ while they are offering you free virus protection (and that has worked pretty well for me so far).

I prefer to do my updates manually and that's not a problem for me. I still get occasional offers to purchase other things but I suspect I would get more if I allowed Open Candy to do so by using the SU. The Browser Cleanup tool is another example of something Avast offers of dubious usefulness. I would NOT use it but as always, YMMV.

Edit: If you do your updates manually, you can look at SU again and it will show the updates have been done.

This post was edited by azinoh on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 13:42

o

Here's a update checker you can use and trust and it is FREE, I have been using it for yrs. no problems

Here is a link that might be useful: update checker

o

The su popped up in lower RH corner. The interface gives the same story.

I uninstalled Java - wasn't using it anyway. Tho it was on auto update it didn't.

I put Foxit Reader on Auto update.

Irfanview doesn't need updating cause I hardly use it.

I disabled the SU and the GrimeFighter. Out of sight out of mind (or what's left of it). :-)

o

Seems unnecessary, all programs check for their own updates. Some when they're run, others have agents to do so when the PC boots. These of the second variety can be turned off to avoid the delay and overhead.

Kinda like setting a timer to remind you to turn off a second timer, a redundancy with no value-added.

o

Avast gave me a popup message just now that I needed a software update and sure enough, there is a new version of Flash available. If left to itself, Flash would do the update eventually but who knows when? I have 2 desktops and have gotten Flash updates days apart...and usually at a time when it wasn't convenient to do them meaning if I choose to postpone the update I'd be waiting for another unknown period. So I went ahead and did the update manually but now the SU shows I have the new version but still thinks I need an update. Maybe it takes a while for the info to propagate back to Avast.

o

azinoh, I have been getting that same messaeg for months nw and have tried to update it that way several times and Adobe comes back and says it is up to date and there is nothing to update so........

o

Racking my feeble brain I vaguely recall 5 or 2 months ago trying to update Flash Player via Flash Player and it wouldn't work because "can't connect to the internet check your settings in control panel etc etc" so I did let the Avast Updater rip and the Flash Player then updated. ???!!!

Sure tired of this BS.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here