Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Give friend wireless password?

Posted by secsteve (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 11:54

A friend (whom I trust very much) is coming to visit and asked if I have wireless networking and could he access it when he visits.

I know I have wireless as Verizon told us that when they installed FIOS. The tech pointed out the side of the modem and the label there (which I don't think peels off, or if it does, not easily) with User name, password, Wireless Network name and Wireless password. Of course, anyone can see it.

If I understand correctly, all that does is allow user to access the internet, correct? So there would be no harm in his using the password. Or is there more to it then that?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Give friend wireless password?

I'll keep it simple. Depending on how it's set up (the details don't matter), they might be able to access your PC if it's turned on at the same time. Or other things I don't need to mention. BECAUSE.....

This is someone you trust very much, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Of course let them use your internet connection, that makes you a nice host.

Visitors to my house are always welcome to use my wifi. I don't have visitors I don't trust, there would be bigger things to worry about anyway.

o
RE: Give friend wireless password?

"I know I have wireless as Verizon told us that when they installed FIOS. The tech pointed out the side of the modem and the label there (which I don't think peels off, or if it does, not easily) with User name, password, Wireless Network name and Wireless password. Of course, anyone can see it."

That is your DEFAULT password, and you should change it because anyone - ANYONE - who can try out the small number of default passwords for that modem can use your wireless connection. For whatever they want.

Unless the Verizon installer locked down the network, which they seldom do.

Read the instructions and set a new password. See if your modem allows a guest account - some do.

A good password would be the first few words of something you can remember but that aren't directly connected with you or your life ...

A minister should not use "DearlyBelovedWeAreGathered" ... but a mechanic could. For a while my wireless password was "YouHaveTheRightToRemainSilent" ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here