Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Live CD Security

Posted by mxyplx (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 11:39

Skipping many bloody details I had to reformat my old computer (XP/Home) and the only way I could was to install W/XP Pro off the disk from my "new" comp. So I didn't enter the activation code which gives me 30 days to figure out something else. Of course it's not updated and there's no virus protection etc and at this writing it's off line. And I've no intention of using it as it was just a means to an end.

But if I just run live-CD-only-linux on line will there be any real security threat via the unprotected install?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Live CD Security

why don't you just install a distro of linux on it and just use that? running by live cd is fine but it will run very very slow because it is only using the resources of the cd drive.

Try one of the live cds in it if it runs good and looks good then go ahead and install it you can always just wipe it off and do something else later. My main pc runs Mepis linux, that is what I am using right now.

You have very little to worry about running linux concerning infection.

o

I will eventually. Had Mepis 8.5 on as dual boot and tried to remove it via the Mepis Manual instructions. A disaster. If I wrote it up you'd probly have a good laugh (me too now) but it's too long. :-)

o

Is this old confuser a home build or factory? If a factory build then simply use the 25 digit key attached to the outside of the case. That is perfectly legal and you will get activation so you can update to SP3 and all the security updates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here