Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Tell If Computer has Ethernet Card?

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 11:25

Hello all, I'm taking my laptop overseas for a conference and am told I need to have an ethernet card for internet hookup. I've tried in vain to discover whether I have one already installed on this computer. Can anyone tell me? Here are the specs:
HP Pavilion Entertainment series dv6500 running Vista
Bought in 2007
Under Device Manager/Network Adapters are two items:
broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Does any of this give the answer I need? I "think" there's an ethernet port but don't know for sure. And if there is an ethernet port, is there also an ethernet card?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Tell If Computer has Ethernet Card?

broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN <======That's the wireless adapter as listed in device manger. WLAN====> Wireless Local Area Network.

Looks like you have one!!!!

NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller<====== That's the Ethernet adapter. When you connect a cable (Ethernet cable) directly to the Laptop from a router or modem that's the adapter that's used. If you look usually on the side of the laptop you should see 1 or 2 square ports where the Ethernet cable would connect. Little bigger then a phone jack type connector.

o

if you will need to connect using Ethernet be sure you carry an Ethernet cable with you! As zep said they look similar to a phone cord but the end connector is bigger than for the phone.
I have several various length cables, before I had my wireless router I used a 50 ft Ethernet cable to use my netbook in my recliner. I pick them up a Fry's but any place with electronics has them.

o

And don't spend more than about $5-$6 for a cable. Many walk-in stores will charge a ridiculous amount for cables. As you can see from the link below, you can get ethernet cables of up to 100' in this price range. For travel, you may want to pick one that is lighter weight: the thicker ones are sturdier, but may be a bit heavy if you get a really long one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethernet cable

o

Thanks all. I'm happy to know I have ethernet! My school is actually lending me a cable so I'm all set there. Hoorah! P.S. Due to you who all are so kind to answer questions, I've found this a very helpful forum. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here