Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows Defender antivirus or malware

Posted by EmmaR (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 10:50

Usually when I install an anti virus windows defender is automatically turned off. This morning I got a windows update notice for Windows Defender definition. I opened WD, it was on and it kept mentioning stopping malware not viruses. I was curious and googled Windows Defender on W 7 and I came up with the same thing. In Windows 7 forum someone was asking the same question" is it anti virus or malware" one of the techs said it was for malware. Are they just calling viruses malware?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows Defender antivirus or malware

The industry continues to confuse users though they themselves also contribute to the confusion.

I personally have always thought of malware as the umbrella term for negative-focused software followed by the defining categories; virus, trojan, bot, keylogger, etc. However, it seems now everything is lumped together.

It's similar to the terms update and upgrade. There use to be a widely recognized line drawn between the use of the two words. Now a days both the industry and users have blurred that line.

The Google page below has several definition entries for your review as to "malware".

Here is a link that might be useful: Google

o

So does that mean it's an anti virus software and I should turn it off when I am using Avast. If it is an antivirus is it a good one. AVG deleted something I needed, Avast didn't stop 2 infections, but it sure let me know I was infected. I get kind of tired of fixing things.......nah, I don't mean that. It keeps me busy and I enjoy every minute of it. If I didn't have this machine to fight with.............I would be stirring up trouble with my HOA.

o

My Windows Defender is off, I use only AVG2014 and malewarebytes both Free versions for many yrs. on all 4 of my PC's 3-W7's and 1 new W8 and no problems, and AVG will not delete anything important, that is entirely on you.

o

Unless I totally misunderstood my readings, AVs and malware detection applications are niche services. Though there might be some slight overlap, they focus directly on certain areas of attack.

I have been an AVG Free user for as long as I can remember, and have installed it on systems for others I hopefully am assisting. (When the choices are offered to the owners I am commonly asked, "What do you use?").

No AV is perfect, and they all have had false positives at one time or another so it is the users responsibility to make the final decision as to removal. That's why the application should be configured to ask before removing threats.

AVG Free is on this W8/8.1 and WD has been turned off. MWB and SAS are current, and in standby in case something does occur. However, I do run them every couple of weeks just as a look see. No conflicts when being activated from on-demand status.

DA

o

I saw what it found but I didn't know what it was, I just trusted it. I should have googled what it found and then decided to delete it or not. Thanks

o

"Unless I totally misunderstood my readings, AVs and malware detection applications are niche services. "

I think this depends on the particular software, the intended message and context of the conversation.

Just as an example (not intended as proselytizing), I use what I think of as Norton Anti Virus. But it's really the Norton Internet Security system. It's a suite of many, many programs and routines that handle a large number of functions. Website reputation, antivirus-malware-spyware-phishing blocking and removal, firewall, temp file cleanup, safety of files downloaded from websites or emails, email scanning, and on and on. Other than the occasional message that pops up, it's invisible. AND, it schedules scans on the fly for only when the PC is not in use. It never interrupts or delays other activity. I never touch it, never schedule anything, and almost never see anything.

I think all the best in class products (there are maybe 4 or 5 best choices) are similar to what I described, comprehensive "systems". They're well worth the modest annual cost.

o

Suites are more prevalent in commercial releases. However, in free versions wouldn't most be limited to traditional services; computer/Internet, e-mail, and an optional firewall?

DA

o

If by commercial you mean "not free", then yes, you're right.

It's seemed to me that many of those posting on this forum with problems of PCs that have become disabled or infected have been using so-called "free" software. We both know that there are other issues that can contribute to such problems and that nothing is 100% effective. But I still scratch my head about why some people don't learn lessons and at least try a different approach following repeated problems.

Many of these same people may spend more money in a week on coffee or alcohol than what a year's subscription to a good security suite would cost. Life's about choices, I spend money on those things too, but it's really a foolish economy to think that cobbling together separate and uncoordinated programs, as you correctly describe, provide a comparable function. I think they don't.

o

"But I still scratch my head about why some people don't learn lessons and at least try a different approach following repeated problems."

Yup.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here