Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Personal Web Pages - free or other?

Posted by jerry_nj (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 11 at 10:43

My wife was a "charter member" of the AT&T Worldnet ISP service and we used it until about a year ago when AT&T decided to get out of the ISP business, shut down Worldnet, and gave its email accounts to Yahoo. Up to that my wife and I used the Worldnet Personal Web page service, and used Microsoft FrontPage to create the content and structure of our web sites, Worldnet supported uploading from FrontPage.

We are now on Century Link (Telephone company) and while it does provide a personal web page service it is limited to 20 megabytes (we'd like at least twice that much) and I have not figured out if it will support FrontPage (I have not yet contacted CenturyLink)... my question here (welcome any input on CenturyLink too) is: are there any free services offered to host a personal web page... something like FaceBook, maybe, but supporting uploads of web page content and provision of a personal http?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Personal Web Pages - free or other?

How many email addresses does Century Link allow? I ask because my provider allows me 5 and each can have a web page. If you exceed 20megs (that is a big site?) then you simply create additional pages using a second email address and link to those in the same way you link other pages on the site.

I think most of the free hosting services have now vanished. With those if any are left you have to contend with advertising on your site.

o

the one I have used for many years is tripod and it is very easy to use and set up. Bravenet is also a good choice. Using the provided ones from your ISP do end up being lost when you change providers which is why I changed to those 2 free sites.

Tripod - succeed online

http://www.bravenet.com/

o

Free and no advertising on either of these:
000webhost

x10hosting

o

a few things you want to check when looking at the free hosting sites, check their dedicated forums see if there are good topics and recent topics also check some of the websites those people have built using the hosting company. Look for the very annoying toolbars some put at the bottom of your website that are linked to things like facebook, twitter etc, they are worse than ads in my book. I know that x10hosting does use those you can check their forum and view some of their sites and you will see what I mean.
I do not mind a plain old ad banner all those jumping and annoying things I really hate.
you can find out a lot just by doing some reading in the various forums dedicated to each hosting company.

o
More Info

Top 20 free web hosting sites. (per user reviews)
Top 20

The Home page:
Free-Webhosts

o

I don't know what your wife is doing with her "site" but you can get domain hosting from GoDaddy for $5 per month (less if you pay for a year in advance). Domain registration is about $10 (look for a coupon code). As I recall you get 100 megs. of storage, unlimited bandwidth, and, maybe 100 email addresses. It's really not a bad deal. No free, but you get complete control (unlike some "free" hosting services that want to fill you pages with advertising).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here