Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Win 7 Ultimate activation issue

Posted by millworkman (millwork4u@gmail.com) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 10:01

"The product ID number you entered has expired. Please enter another product ID number or select a different support option below."

This is what I got trying to activate Win 7 Ultimate on my laptop. It is definitely a genuine version and this is puzzling to me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Win 7 Ultimate activation issue

Are you reloading this after wiping the drive or is this something new you have bought?

Check the label on the DVD to see if it is an upgrade and not a full or OEM version.

Originally Microsoft allowed Windows 7 upgrades to be installed over themselves to qualify on the assumption that the person owned a previous full or OEM version. That police seems to have changed now as I tried it last week and came unstuck. Which means I now have to install XP, activate, then install as a clean install my Windows 7 operating system.

o

I had Vista and I did load it as a fresh install and it is not an upgrade disc rather the full version. I did not buy it new but got it from a friend I have the product key as well as another key from a brand new package and it will allow it to activate.

o

So what you share if I understand correctly is you are pirating the MS product?

DA

o

it is genuine and he had purchased it, it was 2 two disc pkg for multiple computers. He had used the 64 bit and gave me the 32 bit disc.

o

It has both 32 and 64 bit versions but you are only allowed to use one of them on one computer.

o

ok then that may be the issue but pretty sure he told me that it was good for up to 3 or 4 computers.

o

How to activate Windows 7 manually
1) Click Start, and in the Search box type: slui.exe 4
2) Next press the 'ENTER' key
3) Select your 'Country' from the list.
4) Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.
5) Stay on the phone and wait for a person to help you with activation.

Or

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center by phone

Here is a link that might be useful: Activation Center

o

When you installed Win 7 did you also have the necessary drivers for the chipset, Lan, audio and other motherboard components?

If you use Zep's link above and phone them be sure to have the DVD on hand and if the first responder cannot help then ask for a supervisor. If your eyes are not too good also have a magnifying glass and good light in case the ask for tiny writing on the DVD to prove ownership.

o

I would check with your friend again, it is definitely possible to get a package that is for use on multiple computers if that is the case you would be legally installing as long as he has not gone over the install limit. However he might have a different code to use instead of the ones on the dvd package. If so you would need to use that code.

o

Thanks guys he has been away on vacation so well check with him when he gets back and let you know how I make out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here